Minolta is jumping ship as well

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by photogoddess, Jan 19, 2006.

1. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
  2. sfaribault

sfaribault TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You beat me to it.....

Steve

3. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Nikon stopping all film cameras was only kinda surprising, but Minolta disappearing completely? Can't say I saw that coming. I figured they would at least just discontinue film cameras and continue making KM-branded DSLRs.

So who's next? This is slightly scary :confused:.

4. 'Daniel'

'Daniel' TPF Noob!

Alot of the other companies have their hands in alot of pots.

Canon, Sony, Nikon, Ricoh and many others so find it easier to support themselves.

it's a shame though.

5. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Yeah I agree it is a shame. With the film cameras, that's just the way it's going and I know I should just accept it. What I find more disappointing is the fact that there won't even be any KM-branded digital equipment, as their DSLRs and accessories will be branded as Sony. I can't really explain why this bothers me, except to say that I have plenty of Sony electronic equipment already, and would prefer my SLRs to be made by a camera company, rather than an electronics company that also happens to make cameras. I guess it's just a personal preference thing.

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not all that surprising.

The packed up and left Canada last year...all of a sudden.

7. panzershreck

panzershreck TPF Noob!

so how long until the total demise of the 35mm camera? :confused:

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    People are still using large and medium format film...and they fell out of the main stream a long time ago.

I'd guess that 35mm will be around for a long time...but how available it will remain, is the question. There will most likely be a niche market for it...for a long long time.

I can see that one hour labs will start to disappear in the not-so-distant future. If less and less people are getting film developed, it will cost a lot to run those machines and have people to operate them.

The self printing kiosks however...will keep multiplying like bunnies though.

9. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    http://konicaminolta.com/releases/2006/0119_03_01.html

Oh so very sad to see them leave the market. My first SLR was my father's Minolta 7000 which I believe was the first autofocus camera to be successfully marketed in the US. So many rapid changes in the photographic world and I haven't decided whether or not I like where things are headed. I'm no where near as excited as when computers first started appearing in people's homes in the early 90s.

So who's next? My guess would be Pentax. I'm a big fan and collector of older Kmount and screw mounts but I can't see Pentax's SLR line showing much profit.

It also saddens me to see all the local camera shops going through hard times and having to make some drastic changes to accomodate. Many shops I visit have a vivid history dating back to the 20s ( Sandrian ) into the 40s ( Denville, Dover, Madison, Millburn ).

10. skylark

skylark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    When I returned to photography this year I was amazed to see how Canon and Nikon had come to totally dominate. Being a P30 user I tried to find aPentax SLR (originally digital) and was amazed to see how poor the producty offering was represented. I was even more surprised at the near death of Olympus - used to dream of an OM-1. Just sold my pentax as I bought a Canon AF SLR s/h and have now moved to MF (Bronica and Lubitel). Maybe 'serious' photography is moving to niche status, not just film. For 90% of what Joe Public wants a 2Mp phone cam does the trick and I personally cannot see too much advantage of a D350 vs say a Fuji Finepix 'SLR lookalike' with zoom for an awful lot of situations.
    Just a thought

11. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

I agree about Canon and Nikon dominating; it seems like pretty much everyone has either a Canon or Nikon DSLR. From looking at most photography sites you'd get the impression that no-one else made DSLRs. I can't say I really understand this, after all when people look for a digital p&s they don't ask "So, should I get a Canon or Nikon?". There's Fuji, Panasonic, Sony, Casio, Olympus, Kodak... the list is pretty exhaustive. There may not be as many companies making DSLRs but there's still more than just the two. Until this recent announcement I would have given serious consideration to getting a Minolta DSLR, after being extremely impressed by my own 35mm Dynax 5 as well as classic Minolta SLRs and Rokkor glass. I don't feel Minolta deserved to disappear like that. I may wait to see what happens with the KM/Sony thing, or maybe an Olympus, but basically I'm now looking to Pentax for my DSLR when I finally get one. I was sad to see Minolta go, but if Pentax were to follow suit I think I might have to rise up in armed rebellion. Don't get me wrong, I know Canon and Nikon make great cameras. I just don't like the idea that I have to buy from them.

12. 'Daniel'

'Daniel' TPF Noob!

Two words which sum it up for me always when I see pictures taken with those types of camera and the words are:

Chromatic Aberration.