Minolta is jumping ship as well

A couple of you are still around...

So, 5 years later, are you any less surprised about Minolta quitting?

...the forum is broken... :lol:

Well.. technically the group is still active under the Sony brand name. They were pretty innovative at times; First ground up implementation of AF with the 7000 and First to do sensor shift image stabilization back in 2004. I wasn't all that surprised BUT I was still sad to see the end of the brand... still sad... Sony probably should have capitalized on the name in some way.

What actually surprised me in a pleasant way is that Pentax is still around and even making some strong headway in certain markets. My original post back in 2006, I said they would most likely be next.... As a Pentax fan, I am glad I've been wrong thus far. Hey..just reminded me... Those K10Ds should be available for next to nothing these days... I should check ebay. My GX-L1/*ist DL is showing its age but still producing good macros.

There are other disappointing aspects of photography and the direction (as well as good) but that's for another discussion. I still miss the 1 on 1 mom n pop camera shops that have all closed their doors. I secretly wanted to own my own shop someday.... not really a feasible business to go into these days.

Yes.. the forum isn't feeling good today...

Haha ... usayit's link still works, after 5 years...

I don't think Sony could have taken the brand name as Konica-Minolta continued to exist (copier business) ... possibly they could have kept the "Maxxum" name, but they probably thought the "Alpha" branding was better.

Pentax was very strong in the P&S market ... it is good that they waited to jump on the DSLR bandwagon as I do like their cameras.
It appears that K10Ds still go for around $340.00 on eBay.

I miss the "old" days also. I was in the Photo retail industry for 10+ years (I ended that just as Digital cameras started rolling out). I watched as all the Camera Stores went out of business around me.

I miss the "old" days also. I was in the Photo retail industry for 10+ years (I ended that just as Digital cameras started rolling out). I watched as all the Camera Stores went out of business around me.

Oh yes.. I forgot that Konica Minolta is still around in other business.... I think when Sony dumped the name (Maxxum too) all together they lost some identity and essentially need to work hard to re-establish themselves in the photographic market.

Yeh... pretty much all of them around me are now gone. The one in town (since the 1930s IIRC) is now a smoothy shop run by a lady who doesn't smile (and now that business is also up for sale). There's pretty much one "traditional" shop still open about 40 minutes away.. fortunately, they are my dealer so I'm happy they are still around. They are surviving (actually expanded recently) on A1 motivated service and financially backed by a affluent neighborhood.

So far.. this is the only thread I can "see" on the TPF. All the rest are showing up as blanks.... lol

Yeh... pretty much all of them around me are now gone. The one in town (since the 1930s IIRC) is now a smoothy shop run by a lady who doesn't smile (and now that business is also up for sale). There's pretty much one "traditional" shop still open about 40 minutes away.. fortunately, they are my dealer so I'm happy they are still around. They are surviving (actually expanded recently) on A1 motivated service and financially backed by a affluent neighborhood.
I don't think there are any left here, short of driving to Dallas (40 minutes to an hour away)... There is one camera/bait shop that I saw in the phone book though. I haven't been there yet - I don't really know what to expect with a camera/bait shop... :lol: Odd combination...

I guess I should check it out one weekend, I just don't know if I should bring a tackle box or camera bag. :lmao:

I would love to see a Camera/Bait shop ... or Bait/Camera shop !!

I suggest you bring both ... or a photo vest to pin the flies to.

Most reactions

Back