Minolta Manual Focus

Yes, the Minolta Maxxum AF 70-210mm f/4 is "the beercan."
There is also a 75-300mm Maxxum which is "the big beercan."

Unless I get talked out of it, so far I plan on going with a Canon F-1.

If the F-1 falls out of your price range, I highly recomend the Canon EF as a backup plan averaging anywhere five to six hundred dollars cheaper built with the same ruggedness of the F-1 (litterally same chassis) with fewer automated features.

To 0lllllll0,
The 70-210mm lens is actually an amazing lens. I purchased one a few weeks ago and it is now my favorite lens. If you were to buy a camera to fit this lens, I don't think you'd be sorry. If you get something else, let me know and I would probably have a sale of your Minolta lenses for you.

If the F-1 falls out of your price range, I highly recomend the Canon EF as a backup plan
That was going to be my second choice.

edit
And by the time I throw in a few lenses, that may be what I go with.
To 0lllllll0,
The 70-210mm lens is actually an amazing lens. I purchased one a few weeks ago and it is now my favorite lens. If you were to buy a camera to fit this lens, I don't think you'd be sorry. If you get something else, let me know and I would probably have a sale of your Minolta lenses for you.

I have a feeling we're talking about different lenses...

Is your's the f/4 "beercan"?

The one I have is a very cheap feeling, mostly plastic (plastic mount too), 70-210 f/4.5-5.6 lens. Actually, other than the glass, it may be entirely plastic.

I can't see it costing more than $50 (new), although I'm sure it was more than that (hopefully not much more).

Last edited:
Where a Maxxum would shatter into a billion pieces of plastic and glass and wire and metal upon impact after being hurtled at a cinder block wall, the sr-T101 would make a hole and keep on trucking.

The one I have is a very cheap feeling, mostly plastic (plastic mount too), 70-210 f/4.5-5.6 lens. Actually, other than the glass, it may be entirely plastic.

You probably have the Minolta MD 70-210mm and the Minolta MD 35-70mm. Cheap lenses, mainly plastic, and acceptable image quality.

No, it's not those. They're autofocus. They look like kit lenses, only cheaper.
They're silver plastic.

Pretty sure this is the 28-80 (wow, MSRP $42) and this is the 70-210.

Optically, they're probably about the same as a standard kit lens. They just look & feel cheaper.

EDIT
Mine is not 28-80, it's 35-80. It looks just like that though.

... hmm, for some strange reason I thought we were talking about manual focus lens/cameras.

I should start reading the middle stuff :lmao:

... hmm, for some strange reason I thought we were talking about manual focus lens/cameras.

I should start reading the middle stuff :lmao:

I did too!

I was all excited about someone else joining the ranks of the rabid Minolta Manual Focus world.

So many great cameras and lenses so cheap (for the most part). I love my Minolta's and I'd much rather shoot with these than any digital any day.

I always keep these just like this by my front door, grabbing one and a lens on my way out the door. All the rest are scattered through the house, ha.

minolta.jpg

Making a fairly cheap investment in some nice rokkor glass and most any x series camera is never a mistake.

Is a silk shutter really as bad as it sounds?

All of the cameras I've had/used had metal shutters... Not sure if I'd be comfortable with a fabric one.

I think these will be the same quality as the standard Kit lenses available for the Sony Alpha camera line.

If you are considering using these lenses on a DSLR ... then you will have to get a Sony.

You could find a used Sony a100's ... they should be inexpensive now that the newer models are out.
I am happy with mine ... I don't see any need to upgrade (yet).

No. Many camera's had a silk shutter.
I do not know of any issue with them.

One benefit of a cloth shutter ... if you accidentally poke the shutter you won't pop the metal shutter blades out of the rail (I have helped a number of people put their metal shutter blades back in place).

Most reactions

Back