Minolta (Secret Handshake) 28-135mm lens

eugenetaylor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Any of you sony users using the Minolta 28-135mm lens? If so are they really as good as some say or are there better affordable lens out there?

Yes.
I find that this is the sharpest zoom lens that I have, even wide open.
It is almost comparable to my primes.
Macro sucks ... but it was not really designed to do that (even though it has a dedicated macro setting).

I got mine for cheap ... while nobody was paying attention.
The only issue is finding a suitable lens hood.

I remember when this lens was new ... MSRP was $700.00 (back in 1988).

I don't think you should be concerned that is an old lens.
The important thing is the IQ.
$300.00 is not a lot of money to get high IQ ... there are many new lenses that cost way more than that with high image quality.

Take a look at the many posts concerning what high quality lens to buy ... and you will see recommendations for lenses that cost many times more than $300.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Find it hard to justify $300. for a 24 year old lens.

You can spend considerably more than that on some 50 year old lenses!

Carl Zeiss Opton Biogon 35mm f/2.8 35/2.8 adapted to Leica M (12D062) | eBay

This one goes for $3,000 more than the current model offered by Zeiss AG, used:

*Opton Version**Mint-* Hasselblad Superachromatc So 250mm f/5.6 SA 250/F5.6 | eBay

Age has nothing to do with the value of a lens. Brand reputation and quality is much more important.

Find it hard to justify $300. for a 24 year old lens.

You can spend considerably more than that on some 50 year old lenses!

Carl Zeiss Opton Biogon 35mm f/2.8 35/2.8 adapted to Leica M (12D062) | eBay

This one goes for $3,000 more than the current model offered by Zeiss AG, used:

*Opton Version**Mint-* Hasselblad Superachromatc So 250mm f/5.6 SA 250/F5.6 | eBay

Age has nothing to do with the value of a lens. Brand reputation and quality is much more important.

And quality.

Any of you sony users using the Minolta 28-135mm lens? If so are they really as good as some say or are there better affordable lens out there?

I did some more research on this lens and it is a rokkor mount and not an a-mount. You would need an adapter but even then it still wouldnt work well unless you are using a nex.

^^ word!

Those infinity corrected adapters suck!

I did some more research on this lens and it is a rokkor mount and not an a-mount. You would need an adapter but even then it still wouldnt work well unless you are using a nex.

The OP is referring to this lens: Minolta*AF 28-135 F4-4.5*2553-100 lens for Sony Alpha - Minolta camera mount

Most reactions

Back