Minolta ST-R101 not cycling

bighatphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a Minolta ST-R101 last summer for pretty cheap so I could get into film photography.and it took pictures fine. But when I pulled it out today it doesn't seem to be "cycling" and what I mean by that is I release the shutter and it seems to take a picture. But the viewfinder stays black until i release the shutter again. Is it suppose to do that? Did I hit a button? Did I just not notice that?
Thanks for the help in advance

Sounds like a mirror lock-up function has been engaged, but I'm not sure if this model has that feature. If you don't the manual, there's a copy here
I am currently reading the manual, seeing if I can find if it mentions that or not.
Okay, I read that differently than Keith; did you mean that if you keep the shutter released the viewfinder stays dark until you remove your finger, or that once you press the shutter release and let go, the viewfinder stays dark? If the former, than Keith is most likely correct.

Sounds like a mirror lock-up function has been engaged, but I'm not sure if this model has that feature. If you don't the manual, there's a copy here
I am currently reading the manual, seeing if I can find if it mentions that or not.
Okay, I read that differently than Keith; did you mean that if you keep the shutter released the viewfinder stays dark until you remove your finger, or that once you press the shutter release and let go, the viewfinder stays dark? If the former, than Keith is most likely correct.
Now it changed... Halfway through advancing the film the mirror comes down into place, but once I finish advancing the film it pops out of the way.

Sounds like it is in B (Bulb) shutter mode.

BTW: SR-T 101

Okay I checked on the shutterlock, thats not engaged.
I checked on the bulb mode, thats not engaged.
Basically what is happening is the viewfinder starts out black, I go to progress the film and about half way through progressing the film the mirror comes down into place like its suppose and you can see through the viewfinder. But right as it clicks and it is ready to take a photo the mirror flips back up. It takes photos fine(other then when I set it for a really slow shutter, the shutter doesn't quite close which ends up leaking in light therefore ruining that photo)

I will try uploading a video so you can see what is happening because I am bad at explaining things. XD

FWIW, the SRT101 does have a mirror lock up -- it should be a silver button on the right side, near the bottom of the lens IIRC.

Sounds like it's hosed... :(
I have found a way to use it otherwise, just progress the film halfway, setup the shot, finish progressing the film and take the photo. It sucks, I am going to take it to a camera repair shop and see what they think. But I think your right, sadly.

Even if they have the parts to repairt it, it's likely cost-prohibitive when compared to the value of a replacement.

Even if they have the parts to repairt it, it's likely cost-prohibitive when compared to the value of a replacement.
Yea probably. I am hoping its just something really simple. But I am not that lucky, so probably not. :p

Well I wonder if that was my SRT-101, stolen the same week from the same parking lot at the Cliff House restaurant that Carl Lewis had his shoes stolen from (he didn't have his shoes for the Olympics and I didn't have my camera). Anyway, its a good camera, so I recommend taking it apart (my wife may not agree). One site to look at for a potential fix:
Photo sidebar

Most reactions

Back