Minolta x-700

jsweeney14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently have a Minolta x-700 (yes I know it was released in 1981, it was a hand me down from my dad) it has been very good to me, but recently has broke. I have a couple really nice (relatively new) Promaster lenses (spectrum 7 60-300 mm and 100-500 mm). I am looking to replace the camera with a newer one, but am looking for one that I will still be able to use my lenses with. Any feedback would be awesome. Thanks!

The Maxxums have a different mounting lug than the MC/MD lenses that fit onto the X700. That is the end of a really good thing. If you could find any X- or sr- model camera for the right price then go for it. Better than closetting the glass.

You can certainly find another X-700. They were made until 1999. Lots
of them still out there in excellent condition.

i'd definitely go for another x700. these are very fine cameras and, as someone said, can go for quite cheap.

i'd definitely go for another x700. these are very fine cameras and, as someone said, can go for quite cheap.

The X 700, X570,X370 were ALL very solid. My X700 is currently on sale as a local Craigslist item--my PRIMO Minolta rig with 50 1.4, a Novoflex AUTO macro bellows + novoflexar German made 100 mm bellows lens + Vivitar Series One 70-210 and (I'm not sure) either a 28 mm or a 28-80 zoom. Has the Winder too.Prime gear.

I found that these, the 370-570-700 are SOLID and seldom fail and the lenses are CHEAP. Being a Pentax guy... just got Minoltas to sell for some profit I could then spend on my Keepers...but I've come to respect this group.

You can get a X370 CRAZY cheap..I had 5 but sold 2. Nice overall layout.
I Do have an X 700 that's working but has no back and is missing the battery cover thing. Maybe you can swap your back, the batt screw-on and have a working X 700? I was adverting the "spare" bod with the good X 700 and Macro bellows rig etc. Contact me if interested

add on...the X 700 was probably one of the most primo MD mount Minoltas. The bulky/rare/expensive XK was more "Pro" but not nessicerrily a better unit for most folks.

Promaster is okay. Some say Tamron made some Promaster's. Ther 100-500 is rather disinctive. Tamron's SP 60-300 is gonna top the Promaster. I use one ( Adaptall PK mount) on my Pentax ZX-5 even though I have a Pentax AF 80 210. I've bagged the SP 60-300 as low as 25 bucks ebay + ship. The trick is to get it with the mount you want. Ironically...I'd got some of my best Tamrons with Minolta mount, got the less deluxe Tammy's with the PK mount I wanted....sold the less interesting Tamron + Minolta Mount + Minolta body so I could keep the spiffy SP Tamrons.

Whatever.

I'd say be happy with an X 700 or X 370...very solid stuff, very cost effective.

Most reactions

Back