Minolta XG7 -My first post

Metimbo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
home.midsouth.rr.com
Hi everyone! Kind of a long story on how I got here and I won't bore you with it.....yet :wink:

I am very interested in photography and I believe I have an eye for it. I really like close ups (is that called Macro-Photography?). And I like to combine shapes and light to make abstract pictures that don't necessarily make sense, but are interesting.

I am very fluent in Photoshop and I want to get a Digital camera someday when I can afford it and justify it to my wife with consistent interest. Something like the Canon 10D looks cool although the specs are all Greek to me still! LOL

My wife took photgraphy in college and we have a Minolta XG7. I think it is all standard, with the stock lense on it. It is in very good shape I think.

I am looking for some pointers on how to get started with some success so I don't get frustrated.
The questions I have:
1) What film should I use for color close ups? Can I buy this at my local camera shop?

2) I want to get a lense for "Macro-photography", what should I get?

3) Anything else I should know getting started?

I have gone through some of the pictures here on this site and I am really impressed! I hope my pictures come out half as good as all of yours!!

I really don't have the patience for a film camera, but like I said before, my wife won't go for a $800-$1,200 digital until I show some consistent interest.

Thanks for hearing me ramble and thanks in advance for your replies!
~Tim

Ok, I know just by THINKING about getting film developed that I will get frustrated and not want to continue.

Can you guys help me finda good digital camera that will match my needs?

Some things that are important:

1) Quality- Crisp, Sharp, Color

2) I guess it's called DOF- where I can focus on something in the background while the foreground is blurry or vica versa.

3) Like I stated before, Macro-Photography will be my main focus.

4) Ability to get different lenses- I'm sure that there are cameras that they made a billion different lenses for and those that lenses are hard to find. I want the ease of getting nice lenses.

5) Cost- I am looking for something I can get for around $400-$500 to start. I am willing to buy used if that is what it takes.

Thanks again,
~Tim

Most reactions

Back