Minolta zoom options

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by jimiismydaddy, Mar 19, 2007.

1. jimiismydaddy

jimiismydaddy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I jumped on an amazing deal for a Minolta AF 70-210 4.5-6 zoom lens on ebay. I just couldnt pass it up, brand new for like 75% off lol.

My question is should I resell this and get something around 100-300. I really wanted the 300m capability. Or is it better to hold onto this 210 and purchase a 300 separately?

What I have now is in my sig.

2. zioneffect564

zioneffect564 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think 210 should be fine for most shooting... I dont know where you want to go with it i mean if you're wanting to take pictures of the moon i'd say sure go for the 300 but for most uses the 210 should be fine

3. jimiismydaddy

jimiismydaddy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    just some wildlife stuff I shoot, like the ducks around the lake by my house, i took it out yesterday to try it out and its just short enough still that when i shoot they start running in fear from me lol. Im gonna start taking bread and feed them.

4. Frequent Traveler

Frequent Traveler TPF Noob!

The 70-210mm's have pretty good range and some have excellent image quality - that is why there are soooo many of them around. However, the range factor can be limiting for wildlife useage - this can be minimized by getting closer to your subject (i like the bread trick!!).

For the longer shots though, and speaking NOT as a wildlife photog, 300mm is usually the suggested STARTING place. If wildlife is not your primary interest, but you see yourself growing that way, maybe a good start could be the Minolta AF 100-300 F4.5-5.6 D APO. It is well regarded and can serve in many capacities quite well.

In my film lenses, I like my 70-210mm, but it simply cannot compete with my 300mm. It's just doesn't have the reach.

fm