Mirrorless camera for street photography

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I am looking into buying a mirrorless camera for street photography. The main reason for this is because i want a discrete camera that won't attract attention to me when i'm shooting people on the streets, what would be a ideal camera and lens for this situation? :camera:

Hi everyone,

I am looking into buying a mirrorless camera for street photography. The main reason for this is because i want a discrete camera that won't attract attention to me when i'm shooting people on the streets, what would be a ideal camera and lens for this situation? :camera:

Perhaps something built into a hat? Lol

:biglaugh: The hat would attract too much attention. I'm looking more into a specific brand that performs best in street photography.

Don't know the best but Olympus do a nice line of tidy micro 4/3rds cameras. I recently bought an Olympus EPL-5 which had a promotion 17mm f2.8 lens. I like it and would recommend it, however it does not have a build in viewfinder, this can be bought seperately at a cost. Some similar specced cameras have built in evfs

Any camera can be used...

Have you put any thought into what such a camera would be like?

* Assuming not intended to replace the Nikon system?
* What focal lengths?
* Zooms or primes?
* Eye level viewfinder required? or is the rear LCD ok?
* Is compactness of both the camera and lenses important enough that a sub FF sensor ok?
* Got big hands?... seriously... some of the mirrorless cameras are so small that people with big hands don't like them. How important are dials?
* Budget?

For me (I shoot micro 4/3rds), Olympus E-PM2 + Olympus 12mm f/2 and Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 (or 25mm f/1.4). E-PM# series is the smallest of the Olympus Pens. On FF, I much like 24mm and 50mm. So the 12mm and 20/25mm mimic that quite nicely. The 12mm and 20mm are both quite small. On the other hand, the E-PM# may be too small for some hands (I have small hands) and lack dials (doesn't bother me as much). The E-PM2 specifically has the upgraded sensor that shows similar performance to my OMD E-M5.

If on a very tight budget... refurbs are routinely via Cameta and ebay seller "pvt4545" for olympus pens. E-PM1 was going for $119 but I just checked.. looks like they are out.

Second up for me.. would be the Fuji. Great primes. Great ISO performance on a APS sensor.

Don't forget to consider high P&S cameras too... They fit a street shooters' needs quite nicely. Sony RX100, Fuji X20, Canon PowerShot G1X, Powershot G16.

Last edited:
I don't have one, but these are supposed to be good. The black one should blend in.
Leica Camera AG - Photography - M9 & M9-P

I am a Leica shooter.. I wouldn't immediately recommend one based on only being discreet.. for street. There is a whole lot more involved. Its a niche product that lends its experience mostly due to shooting with a rangefinder. An experience many love (like me) and others hate.

For the typical shooter coming from a DSLR and very much like what it has to offer in terms of shooting experience, shooting a rangefinder often will not feel natural.

Any camera can be used...

Have you put any thought into what such a camera would be like?

* Assuming not intended to replace the Nikon system?
* What focal lengths?
* Zooms or primes?
* Eye level viewfinder required? or is the rear LCD ok?
* Is compactness of both the camera and lenses important enough that a sub FF sensor ok?
* Got big hands?... seriously... some of the mirrorless cameras are so small that people with big hands don't like them. How important are dials?

1. Brand is not important
2. 35mm prime
3. just viewfinder, lcd is not important to me and i wouldn't care if it wasn't on it.
4. compactness is a major factor, it needs to be small and discrete.
5. my hands are not too big, but i'll learn to manage. Dials and buttons are pretty important, i want to be able to fiddle around with my camera. Lots of options in its software are a plus too, just like a dslr.

2. 35mm prime
3. just viewfinder, lcd is not important to me and i wouldn't care if it wasn't on it.
5. my hands are not too big, but i'll learn to manage. Dials and buttons are pretty important, i want to be able to fiddle around with my camera. Lots of options in its software are a plus too, just like a dslr.

If no concern for budget and no need interchangeable lenses @ 35mm, I would kill for a Sony RX1 (I still may get one). It is a perfect FF + 35mm fixed lens camera.

Olympus Pens wouldn't be too good a fit unless you are ok with attaching an EVF. If ok with EVF attachment, the E-P5 (or older E-P3) is right up your alley. I personally wasn't happy with the 17mm f/2.8 olympus, but the 17mm f/1.8 is a good performer. Olympus E-M5 would fit nicely and they are dropping in price paired with an Olympus 17mm f/1.8. I'm currently shooting with the E-M5 + 12mm /f2 and quite happy.

As I said, I also like Fuji. So I would consider a Fuji XE-1.

another that comes to mind, is the Sony NEX 7 w/ 24mm f/1.8 prime (not out yet) but that's getting pretty pricey and outside what I know from personal experience.

Keep in mind, the Olympus and Panasonic micro 4/3rd cameras are 2x crop so the smaller image circle also lends itself to smaller lenses... often smaller than what is offered by APS systems such as the Fuji and Sony. On the other hand, some may feel 2x crop is too small. I bought into the system specifically because everything (camera and lens) is less than half the weight and size of equiv APS systems.

Last edited:
The new Panasonic GX7 is a sweet camera with a viewfinder.

I have four M4/3 cameras 2 each Panasonic & Olympus. I find the pancake Panasonic 14/2.5 very discrete but too wide & prefer my Sigma 17/2.8 for street shooting. Although not highly rated, the Oly 19/2.8 pancake might suit you for street shooting.

Link to reviews of the GX7:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=gx7+...t=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=tm12UpZl5__bBdibgJgF

2. 35mm prime

If no concern for budget and no need interchangeable lenses @ 35mm, I would kill for a Sony RX1 (I still may get one). It is a perfect FF + 35mm fixed lens camera.

Olympus Pens wouldn't be too good a fit unless you are ok with attaching an EVF. If ok with EVF attachment, the E-P5 (or older E-P3) is right up your alley. I personally wasn't happy with the 17mm f/2.8 olympus, but the 17mm f/1.8 is a good performer. Olympus E-M5 would fit nicely and they are dropping in price paired with an Olympus 17mm f/1.8. I'm currently shooting with the E-M5 + 12mm /f2 and quite happy.

As I said, I also like Fuji. So I would consider a Fuji XE-1.

another that comes to mind, is the Sony NEX 7 w/ 24mm f/1.8 prime (not out yet) but that's getting pretty pricey and outside what I know from personal experience.

Keep in mind, the Olympus and Panasonic micro 4/3rd cameras are 2x crop so the smaller image circle also lends itself to smaller lenses... often smaller than what is offered by APS systems such as the Fuji and Sony. On the other hand, some may feel 2x crop is too small. I bought into the system specifically because everything (camera and lens) is less than half the weight and size of equiv APS systems.

The Sony RX1 does come with a lot of nice features and its capable of producing raw images. Very nice camera.

An M film camera is the best for street photography its what the top Magnum shooters use

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

I'll make a spreadsheet with all the suggestions. Its mainly going to come down to size. The LEICA M9 is nowhere available new where i live. The Sony RX1 is a pricey camera, but i want a camera that will last me for many years to come. The gx7 panasonic looks very functional.

An M film camera is the best for street photography its what the top Magnum shooters use

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

It has to be digital for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back