Mirrorless camera for street photography

Get google glass, I hear you can take pictures and video with that and it could be debated that it's inconspicuous. :)

Samsung Gear watch has a "hidden" camera on the bracelet. Only 1.6 mp I believe.. lol

But it's not as "hidden" when you have to pull your arm up there to snap it. Besides, google glass HAS to be good, it costs the same as a prosumer body ;)

How good is the bokeh on it?

Easy.. you just pretend that you are near sighted and need to bring the watch to your nose to read the time.....

Its funny that you say that, because i am near sighted. When i forget my monocle on days and take pictures on the streets of people or things, i notice funny expressions or details when i zoom in in lightroom. It is comical to say the least and i never tire of it.

If you are really set on going mirrorless for your street shooting, the Lumix GF-1 would be a good choice, as Ron mentioned. I own one and I shoot a lot of street stuff. I purchased mine when they first came out and mounted the Panny 20 1.7 on it. I then switched to the PL 25 1.4 lens. I also use the 14mm for wider shots. Even though the auxiliary EVF leaves a lot to be desired, I use it.

Lew is right that you can shoot street with just about any type of camera. It is developing an eye for it that is crucial. An added bonus of going with the GF-1 is that they can be found for next to nothing on the used market. That way, if you discover this type of shooting is not to your taste, you are not out that much money on the system.

Good luck to you.

If you are really set on going mirrorless for your street shooting, the Lumix GF-1 would be a good choice, as Ron mentioned. I own one and I shoot a lot of street stuff. I purchased mine when they first came out and mounted the Panny 20 1.7 on it. I then switched to the PL 25 1.4 lens. I also use the 14mm for wider shots. Even though the auxiliary EVF leaves a lot to be desired, I use it.

Lew is right that you can shoot street with just about any type of camera. It is developing an eye for it that is crucial. An added bonus of going with the GF-1 is that they can be found for next to nothing on the used market. That way, if you discover this type of shooting is not to your taste, you are not out that much money on the system.

Good luck to you.

Only trouble with that camera is no viewfinder, you have to pay extra and they are not cheap, i would not recommend a camera without a viewfinder

Have you got the advice of Sony A7,full-frame mirrorless camera, review here

Good luck to you.

Only trouble with that camera is no viewfinder, you have to pay extra and they are not cheap, i would not recommend a camera without a viewfinder

I agree, to an extent. I have owned a couple of different Panasonic cameras- the GF-1 and the GX-1 and I used viewfinders on both of them. I am too old and too set in my ways not to use viewfinders.:er:

However, a photographer I really admire, Mitch Alland, found that he much preferred shooting without a viewfinder on these types of cameras. He shot almost an entire project, Bangkok Hysteria, with a Ricoh GRDII by using the screen instead of the separate viewfinder he purchased for the camera. He described in detail how he experimented with it and found it quite liberating to shoot like that. So, having read that, one day I decided to give it a try. I headed out to downtown Dallas for a bit of street shooting and left behind the EVF for my GF-1. I shot all day by just using the screen. Well, I did not like it at all. I have never tried that again.

I looked on ebay and found several GF-1's with kit lenses and EVF's for around 400.00-500.00. Still not a bad deal. If you look for just bodies only, you can easily find them in the 150.00-200.00 range.

3. just viewfinder, lcd is not important to me and i wouldn't care if it wasn't on it.

Just pointing out.... It seems the viewfinder is pretty important to the OP.

Several years ago, it was between the E-PL1 and GF-1. I went to the store and compared both with their viewfinders. I chose the E-PL1 simply because the viewfinder for the GF-1 was pretty lacking from my point of view. Its a pretty big difference especially when compared side-by-side. I use the EVF frequently so I figure I should buy a good one.

Last edited:

Good luck to you.

I agree, to an extent. I have owned a couple of different Panasonic cameras- the GF-1 and the GX-1 and I used viewfinders on both of them. I am too old and too set in my ways not to use viewfinders.:er:

However, a photographer I really admire, Mitch Alland, found that he much preferred shooting without a viewfinder on these types of cameras. He shot almost an entire project, Bangkok Hysteria, with a Ricoh GRDII by using the screen instead of the separate viewfinder he purchased for the camera. He described in detail how he experimented with it and found it quite liberating to shoot like that. So, having read that, one day I decided to give it a try. I headed out to downtown Dallas for a bit of street shooting and left behind the EVF for my GF-1. I shot all day by just using the screen. Well, I did not like it at all. I have never tried that again.

I looked on ebay and found several GF-1's with kit lenses and EVF's for around 400.00-500.00. Still not a bad deal. If you look for just bodies only, you can easily find them in the 150.00-200.00 range.

My friend has most Leica's that have been made but still takes out his GF1 and gets fantastic results but he does fit Leica lenses to it, he is thinking of getting the new Sony because he does not like the new M as much as his M9

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Hi everyone,

I am looking into buying a mirrorless camera for street photography. The main reason for this is because i want a discrete camera that won't attract attention to me when i'm shooting people on the streets, what would be a ideal camera and lens for this situation? :camera:

Get classy and get a leica, thats how the old pros do it. And who wouldnt want their picture taken with a leica?

Any camera can be used...

Have you put any thought into what such a camera would be like?

* Assuming not intended to replace the Nikon system?
* What focal lengths?
* Zooms or primes?
* Eye level viewfinder required? or is the rear LCD ok?
* Is compactness of both the camera and lenses important enough that a sub FF sensor ok?
* Got big hands?... seriously... some of the mirrorless cameras are so small that people with big hands don't like them. How important are dials?

1. Brand is not important
2. 35mm prime
3. just viewfinder, lcd is not important to me and i wouldn't care if it wasn't on it.
4. compactness is a major factor, it needs to be small and discrete.
5. my hands are not too big, but i'll learn to manage. Dials and buttons are pretty important, i want to be able to fiddle around with my camera. Lots of options in its software are a plus too, just like a dslr.

Sony RX1-r, no low pass filter. Smallest most badass compact camera on the market right now. Full Frame, 35mm f2

https://www.google.com/search?q=son...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

i think the upcoming Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 should be fit. Regarding the size with a specially designed 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens (a Leica 15mm f/1.7 is planned for 2014) completing its micro DSLR appearance.

http://bit.ly/1bG9YuA i'm wondering to buy this too..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back