Mirrorless is stepping up

I now believe that EVFs are better than optical viewfinders (gasp!) The technology has really gotten a lot better, and it's a joy to see exposure as it will be recorded.
I'm inclined to agree. I was amazed by my OM-D's viewfinder. The image does not look too digitised, compensating for exposure is reflected in the view & the live bulb mode is great for long exposures.
I've had more than 1 Canon DSLR user check mine out & been really impressed by it.

The OM-D's feel is much more 'familiar' than the Canon DSLRs I've used. The one thing I miss from my old film OMs is the shutter speed ring on the lens mount.

DSLR snobs may turn their nose up at the smaller sensor but I sometimes use mine to photograph model railways where the smaller sensor gives me a greater depth of field.

The biggest advantage I can see the E-M1 has over the E-M5 is the compatibility with std 4/3 lenses. Are the improvements major if sticking to m4/3 lenses?

From what you guys are saying, when my E-450 bites the dust for the final time/I have money to upgrade, the E-M1 is going to take its place. Unless something way more awesome comes out in that time (it'll be a while I imagine), this looks like the way to go.

After spending some time with both a D7000 and an OM-D (both my cameras) - both with good glass...I enjoy shooting my OM-D way more. And quite frankly, I now believe that EVFs are better than optical viewfinders (gasp!) The technology has really gotten a lot better, and it's a joy to see exposure as it will be recorded. It's also nice to have instant access to a live histogram, a visual indicator of clipped highlights and/or shadows, and manual focusing is much easier since you're seeing the depth of field accurately.

Umm.. ok, not throwing stones here - but I'm wondering how well the EVF works when firing 4-5 frames per second. I own an FZ200 and while the EVF is pretty good as far as image quality is concerned, one of the things I've noticed is that when I'm firing a longer burst the EVF lags - which for wildlife photography is kind of a deal breaker. Just wondering how well the OM-D keeps up firing long consecutive bursts as compared to a more traditional pentaprism or pentamirror system.

Most reactions

Back