Mirrorless vs DSLRs

gregc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

Which is the best type of camera for portrait photography, Mirrorless or DSLRS?

Hi

Which is the best type of camera for portrait photography, Mirrorless or DSLRS?

Whichever one you take the time to learn how to use best. in the end the results are going to be more dependent on your skills and knowledge than they will which camera you buy.

Whichever one you take the time to learn how to use best. in the end the results are going to be more dependent on your skills and knowledge than they will which camera you buy.
Yeap exactly, skills are the most important you can bring to a photoshoot!!!
Beyond skills what is important is not what camera type are you using, when it comes to image quality what determinate are few factors like sensor size, quality of lens and in portrait also lens size.

Onion bagels or everything bagels? Coke or Pepsi? Chevy vs Ford? Seahawks or 49'ers? runnah or terri?

(Of course everybody knows the correct answers are everything bagels, Coke, Ford, Seahawks.)

I guess I should probably expand on this just a bit.

If your taking portraits you pretty much have control over the lighting, the environment, etc - so really any camera that can capture a decent image will work fine.

The advantages to most mirror less systems is that they are generally smaller and lighter in weight. So if that's an important consideration, that might be a reason to consider mirrorless.

The advantage of the DSLR is that your going to have more options in the way of lenses and accessories, and if you decide to expand from just doing portraits, particularly into areas where telephoto or action shooting becomes more important, a DSLR might be a better choice in the long run.

But really when you have the time to set everything up and control all the variables such as lighting and location, etc - either will do the job just fine. You'd be hard pressed to tell a picture taken by a mirrorless vrs one taken by a DSLR. Even in environments you don't control, ultimately skill is a bigger factor in determining the end results than equipment. Equipment can just make certain things easier, that's all.

What kind of beans should I have with my enchiladas? refried? charro? black bean? none? what about the rice?

Portraiture often calls for a narrower DOF which is easier and generally more controllable with FF, then APS, then micro 4/3, or larger to smaller sensors. The smaller the sensor the greater the DOF which limits isolating the subject from the background. The sensor size is the main factor not whether there's a mirror or not in the camera. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Most reactions

Back