missing part of sensor coating

nikon service center sucks and i havent even got there yet. They wanted 25 dollars to quote me a price i had to talk them into it on the phone and call them twice and still waiting for a return call. I just told them finally "look im over two hours away dont want to drive there for the hell of it, and the camera isnt worth much and you are starting to piss me off"

omg its just a freakn camera they act like they are brain surgeons

see the spot in the sky right over the roof of the playground equipment? Usually it isn't noticeable i have noticed in now in a couple sky shots which i can usually blend in post and it kind of limits me editing anything high contrast as it becomes more apparent. Basically just a darker shade of whatever in that area.

View attachment 118220
That looks like a floating hippopotamus to me.
Was it pink in color earlier ?

see the spot in the sky right over the roof of the playground equipment? Usually it isn't noticeable i have noticed in now in a couple sky shots which i can usually blend in post and it kind of limits me editing anything high contrast as it becomes more apparent. Basically just a darker shade of whatever in that area.

View attachment 118220
That looks like a floating hippopotamus to me.
Was it pink in color earlier ?
no but what do you mean? i'm side tracked on nikon service center right now thinking of driving down there with a carton of eggs instead of the camera

You obviously think it's going to be like changing a light bulb.

Let us know when you swap it out.

BTW, do you even own a JIS screwdriver?

You obviously think it's going to be like changing a light bulb.

Let us know when you swap it out.

BTW, do you even own a JIS screwdriver?
its not that i just cant believe someone cant give a ballpark estimate over the phone and would rather waste your time shipping it to them or driving it to them but lets see if they call me back with the part price since it had to call them twice for a labor price

they have jis screwdrivers on amazon for eight bucks. :biglaugh:

alright they called back 257 for part 209 labor least i have a price now i guess i wont egg their windows

Sounds like they are doing a full sensor replacement - that's way more than I'd honestly expect in parts for just hte filter glass infront of the sensor (which should in theory be all that you've damaged).

Sounds like they are doing a full sensor replacement - that's way more than I'd honestly expect in parts for just hte filter glass infront of the sensor (which should in theory be all that you've damaged).
yes that is what i was thinking. Also if maybe something got UNDER the glass. Its been used in, umm, so not so great conditions. Think the shutter counts only around 30k though

kind of off subject but one of my kids actually covered it in sand once and said he was making a sand castle. I was just like ummmm. :BangHead: LOL

this one ha ha (i can laugh about it now)
DSC_7153.NEF.JPG

It's likely that the sensor and glass are one module, and their protocol is to replace the entire module even if the problem is with the glass. It might cost too much for them to diagnose the problem at that detail, or to do the precision work needed to replace only one when they have hundreds of cameras needing repairs.

Have you looked into having the filter removed entirely? There are services that can do that.

I just drop all bodies and lenses in the dishwasher once a month.
They come out a little wet, but 15 minutes in the microwave and they are like brand new.

I just drop all bodies and lenses in the dishwasher once a month.
They come out a little wet, but 15 minutes in the microwave and they are like brand new.
i like this concept. For the moment i am just ignoring the issue. since i dont shoot pro and can clean up some in post it seems fairly mild though i may pick up another camera

Most reactions

Back