Mission: Impossible...?

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I knew this would happen eventually...

I have been asked to shoot a wedding that will take place in one month, inside a bar. I do not have ANY experience with weddings, or even anything where opinions other than my own even matter. I don't even have a flash (yet - I'll be getting one soon whether I do this or not).

The only good news is that they don't expect me to do it for free.

If I accept, I think I'll have a lot of learning to do, fast. I'm not sure how high the expectations are going to be...

If I decline, there will likely be no photos taken other than photos taken by the guests with P&S cameras and/or phones.

Who gets married in a bar...?!?!

The light is going to suck, obviously - so a flash will be an absolute requirement. I will probably have about two weeks to learn as much as I can about flash photography. (I've never used flash before, other than the pop-up flash.)

It will be business as usual at the bar - there will be people there other than the wedding guests. Not sure how crowded it's going to be.

I think I *might* actually be able to pull it off, but I don't know if it's even worth trying... I think, in general, I know what I'm doing. But more specifically, I've never done this before, so who knows...

Gear I plan on buying very soon (I was going to buy all of this before I even found out about the wedding):
580EX
Diffuser, Bouncer, Reflector
Cable for off camera shooting
*Maybe* a flash bracket - undecided on that.

Would it be 'doable' with the above additions to my kit (the rest can be seen in my profile)?

My only concern (as far as gear goes) is that 50mm is going to be too long (on a crop sensor) for shooting inside a bar. The only lens wider than 50mm that I have is the 18-55 kit lens.

Everything you're looking into is solid. Just remember to bounce, lots of bouncing. Especially in a bar. But that kit lens is going to hinder you BIG time. Too slow to really shoot in those kind of conditions. Not to mention you're gonna have to stop down to sharpen up.

Look into getting another lens with that range. Either the Sigma 18-50 2.8 or the Tamron 17-50 2.8. Both are on the cheapish side and will give more play room.

Oh and pick up Light and Lighting in Digital Photography by Michael Freeman. That will help out with the learning curve.

Just my .02

Last edited:
Oh and pick up Light and Lighting in Digital Photography by Michael Freeman. That will help out with the learning curve.

Just ordered it. (I'm sure it will be useful even if I don't shoot this wedding.)

Last edited:
I will be ordering the flash regardless of this event. The lenses - that's going to go a little outside of what I planned on spending...

Tough choices... I had planned on buying a new TV tomorrow. If I don't buy it, that will add about $1000 to my budget. Picking up an extra lens in addition to what I had already planned on buying will mean that the TV is out (or at least the TV I have my eye on).

Not sure if I'm looking at the lenses you had in mind (I think so, but better double check). Sigma. Tamron. Are these the lenses you're talking about?

Looks like neither of these is compatible with 35mm... Not important for this event, but it is a factor that carries a lot of significance when I buy lenses. I think I would rather go for a Canon prime somewhere in the 24-35mm range... (I'm kinda partial to primes anyway.)

How important are full length portraits for weddings? If I can get by without them, a new lens is not necessarily required.

Well they're doing it in a bar so don't worry, they're not normal in the first place so if the photos wont be that good they wont notice it ;P

Well they're doing it in a bar so don't worry, they're not normal in the first place so if the photos wont be that good they wont notice it ;P

...I was thinking the same thing. Still - If I do this, I want them to be as good as I can make them. I have no idea what to charge... They obviously have a low budget (wedding in a bar?), but I don't know how low. I doubt they'll be able to pay enough to cover the gear I'll need (which I had planned on getting anyway).

I'm thinking cost x 2. I think that might be on the (very) low side, but I don't think they can afford much more than that. I'm sure they'll pick up my tab after the shooting is over too...lol.

Even though I don't do this kind of photography at all I would say this - if you want off camera flash I would look into a flash bracket - ebay has a lot that are dirt cheap and not too badly built -they will do what you need them to do without breaking your bank.
I say this because a bar is likley to be rather crowded and confined for space - that means you don't want one hand always wavering with a flash - if its on a bracket its much easier to control in confined spaces and also its easier for quicker snaps during the event.
You can always hold the flash off when doing the more formal shots where you will have more space and time

Good luck!

Can you arrange to do some shots before the wedding?? Someplace where you'll have more control of the conditions/surroundings?? (At least that can be the back-up plan if things don't turn out too well at the actual wedding???) :scratch:

LOL!!

Good luck!!!!!!!!

...I think I'm going to pass on this one.

There just isn't enough time to prepare. I'll still bring my camera, of course - and I'll try my best, but I'm not going to push it too much. I should still be able to get at least a few usable shots.

I'll try to get them alone beforehand to get some portraits, that's a good idea.

Look at me forget you shoot 35mm. Not crop digital. *facepalm*

But it definitely looks as if you could use a 35mm 1.4 or a 24mm 1.4. Either of those should work beautifully.

Just my .02
Just ordered it. (I'm sure it will be useful even if I don't shoot this wedding.)
The book came in today - haven't got a chance to read much of it yet, but it looks pretty good. Thanks for recommending it.

Look at me forget you shoot 35mm. Not crop digital. *facepalm*

But it definitely looks as if you could use a 35mm 1.4 or a 24mm 1.4. Either of those should work beautifully.
I shoot film & digital, I just want to avoid lenses that don't work on both as much as possible. I agree - 24mm or 35mm is in my future... :)

Most reactions

Back