Misusing A Tripod Well.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Bifurcator, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    interesting use - though I would think one would want to use some sort of padding on the leg digging into the body.

3. dylj

dylj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Why not just use a shoulder rest like the ones violinists use? In fact shoulder rests are made in all sorts of sizes and shapes. Like marshmallows or dinosaurs ...

4. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    but a violinists shoulder rest is part of the violin - there is no shoulder rest on the camera:(

5. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  6. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    linky linky to a product page for the tripod ;)
    I must say I often see the smaller tipods being either gimmiky or more suited to indoor macro work - rather than outdoors work - but one that goes to 1.5 metres tall and with the above idea could see good use - espeically if it is light
    I wonder though how sturdy this would be with a decent sized lens on the camera whilst standing - not a freestanding tripod setup, but would the added support be worth it or would you always worry about breaking the legs through weight?

7. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I will try to find a link to this pod. It's ancient but I see the same model in shops still today.

As for being sturdy as a freestanding pod it's not - at all. It will support probably 10 or 15 pounds of camera and lens with no troubles at all but if you need to use it for absolutely still shots you will need to either use the 2-second delay shutter release found on most cameras, a remote control, or a cable release. After positioning the shot you WILL get camera shake if you them touch the shutter release button manually. But actually this is true of almost all but the totally monstrous pod models.

Also WHILE setting up the shot with heavier cameras you need to aim a bit above your target for as soon and your hand moves away and no longer adds support the weight of the lens will aim it about 0.1 degree (which is kind of allot) downward from where you pointed it. The quick tension release knob on the head I put on these legs compensates for that affect pretty well though: Aim, adjust, aim, adjust, done.

8. dylj

dylj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well the chin rest is the one that is attached to the violin :) I don't know of any violins that come with a shoulder rest.

Shoulder rests (for violins) come in two varieties: The traditional one with feet: http://www.kunrest.com/

and the more unconventional ones that are more like sponges: http://www.stamellstring.com/pages/SR_VN_PlayNairDlux.html

This second kind has potential for being used with a camera, I think.

9. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  10. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  11. dylj

dylj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Haha I actually do mean using it on the shoulder :)

Here is Joe McNally's video on holding a camera:

But I find it hard to replicate on a D40 or any camera withot a battery grip -- the camera is too small to reach the shoulder. So a shoulder rest would remedy that problem and make it more comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  12. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hard to do and not good for me at all unless I'm bare chested (no shirt or jacket). I've seen that before but it's fairly nutso (IMO). The problem besides the discomfort and the severe limits that it places on my pan and tilt range, is that my clothing tends to grab and turn the focus or zoom ring rubber and oops... there goes that shot I was waiting for.

Everyone's body bends a little differently so for some people that might be OK but for me that's pretty whack. I laughed pretty hard at that video tho, thanks!

I've never tried that with a pillow strapped to the camera tho so you might be on to something there.