mixture of B&W photography

bry05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first attempt at B&W photography, i just took pictures of things/scenes/people that interest me, thanks for looking and I welcome comments.

bike1.jpg

bikewheel.jpg

gears.jpg

grapes.jpg

tank.jpg

severn.jpg

kellytrain.jpg

thanks for looking

The subjects and the framing are ok, but I think the b/w needs a little work. They're very flat/grey.

The bike in the first two are a good example. The tires on the bike are naturally black, but after the conversion they're grey. Check out some of the tips here on the forum for converting to b/w using the channel mixer.

Keep trying, you've got a good start :thumbup:

hi, there is no conversion, these shots were taken using black and white film using a film slr, so i am a little puzzled as to the comments regarding the B&W conversion.

ha, digital gets schooled :)

but in all honesty, i too feel the B&W needs work in the contrast and color division. i often under expose my B&W shots too get less grey and more black and white areas. if you develope your own there is a lot more that you can do in the department but dont ask me.

and cool pictures

I will definitely encourage one who is using B&W film. (!!)

I like your mixture of pics but feel the need to add to the quality-of-post commentary. I shoot B&W film all the time and I think the first thing to try with all these would be to go to the Channel Mixer option in your photo-manipulation sofware and check the MONOCHROME box. That will get rid of the slight tint I am seeing. Then some levels adjustments to the first three will possibly bring out some details in the highlights and add some tonal seperation.

Keep shooting!

Tuna

cheers for the comments. so would i be right in thinking that the 'auto' setting on my camera doesnt take into account that i am using B&W film? and hence has over exposed these shots somewhat. (i do use manual settings, but not as much as most of you probably do, due to the fact i am only just starting out).

Bry05, as I can hear, you are still learning (like most of us here!), and from what I can see here with regards to choice of motif and framing I would say you are very much on the right track. There's already been given some good pieces of advice here, but all in all I can see that you know what to look for.

thanks for the advice everyone. so when using B&W is it more advisable to use manual settings as aposed to the auto mode, should this give better colours (well not coulours, just not be so over-exposed).?

Most reactions

Back