1. (you can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner)

As part of our new initiative on TPF you can come and take part in a series of new in-depth articles and discussions every month. Featured this month are the methods that one of our top avian photographers, Kristofer Rowe uses to get his stunning photos (as also featured on Tamron USA website as well!). So drop in and take part, I know that Kristofer will be happy to answer your questions and hear what you do out in the field with your camera!

Capturing Distinctive Bird Images

ML-L3 IR release?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ecnal, Nov 22, 2009.

1. ecnal

ecnal TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Curious about this for my D40 - a good buy? Am I correct in saying that this is the only remote shutter release for the D40 (meaning that it can't take a cable release?)

They're on eBay for 20$. And there's a knockoff one for about 3$ with free shipping. I think I'd spring the extra 17$ though. I just don't trust a listing with grammar of a fourth grader. :)

Also, down the road, I'm looking to get a D90 - this works with that, correct?

Thanks as always!

2. CWN

CWN TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have 3 of the $5/shipped remotes because they work so well with the d40 and D90, they're so inexpensive I just got one for each camera case. ;)

3. Allyn

Allyn TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I also have to throw in a vote on how great the $3 remotes are, you really can't go wrong with it (unless you hate money...specifically the $17 that would go to the other remote).

4. TJ K

TJ K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the nikon brand remote and have to say i have no problems except that you have to be pointing the remote at the front of the camera. Besides that all is good.

5. ecnal

ecnal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Cool. I'm thinking that a piece of aluminum tape angled just right could fix the 'having the point at the front' problem.

Remote purchased!

6. dhilberg

dhilberg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't use my ML-L3 anymore, I've had nothing but bad luck with it. I had to point it exactly at the right spot on the camera or it didn't work. Most of the time I just gave up and used the timer because it was so darn picky.

I bought a wired remote instead, the Satechi TR-G. The control unit doesn't look like the one pictured though, it's like the TR-B. Works every time, no matter which way I'm facing. Plus it's got a built-in intervalometer which makes long exposures a breeze--no more watching the second hand. Just dial in the seconds or minutes (or hours) and press the button. :)

They have intervalometers for lots of bodies: Satechi :: Camera Accessories- Wireless Shutters, Remote Timer Shutters, Battery Grips, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Olympus

7. PatrickHMS

PatrickHMS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like my Nikon IR just fine, never had a problem with it, when using it like it is meant to be used.