Mmm Should I... or shouldn't I?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Katier, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Katier

Katier TPF Noob!

I mix film and digital work and have the following kit :-

Pentax Me Super, Me F, K110D, A3 bodies

with a selection of lenses from PK fit 50mm 1.7 through to 80-300 AF.

and a Yashicamat LM TLR

I'm debating selling the A3 (A3000 I think in the US) with a 1.7 lens and flash and possibly the K110D and upgrading to a K200D or a second hand K10D.

I am overall happy with the K110 with just one main problem that I am finding the 6mp is reaching it's limits at A3 print size which I do a fair bit (it'll print fine at A3 but if I do need to even modestly crop it starts to struggle).

But then I do like film too and film (especially the LM's) will scan and print to over A3 size. But then the K200D is well weathersealed which could be handy as I do photograph in all weathers.

2. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm a fan of weather sealing. It also helps with the dust. ;)

If all you do is in doors it's not an issue. The same if you seldom change lenses but what's an 'SLR for anyway?

3. Katier

Katier TPF Noob!

hehe aye I use it all the time, anywhere, anyhow with the lens for the job in hand :)

4. Katier

Katier TPF Noob!

Guess everyone loves Nikon and Canon too much to have an opinion? :p

5. elemental

elemental TPF Noob!

I have a K100D, a K1000, Ricoh KR-5 SII and KR-10, and some borrowed Minolta toys.

I think a K200D would be a nice upgrade for you, but have you looked into the K20D? Those are said to be really excellent cameras. I might look into one of those bodies to put your old SMC lenses on.

6. Katier

Katier TPF Noob!

I'm getting VERY tempted by a K20D.. Pentax are doing £100 cash back on the K20D + kit lens in the UK. That's (from the cheapest I've found) £466 including cash back.

Or K200D with kit with £50 off for about £360.

Then sell the K110D+kit lens... just gotta justify it now - lol.

7. dtornabene1

dtornabene1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    While everyone is usually in Canon or Nikon mode, Pentax has some of the finest cameras available. The price points can not be beat and the technology is rated as Very Good or Excellent by many reports. (The highest marks possible.)

Now Pentax has a Shake Reduction (SR) system. Normally for Canon or Nikon owners, not a big deal, but in your case this is a deal closer. In addtion to excellent dynamic range (there is a feature to expand the range by 200%) and a CMOS sensor that easily competes with any DSLR out there, you can use your old lenses with the added feature of SR.

This should give you up to two stops of image stabilization, using your old, perfectly good lenses.

The choice is easy. I would, without any hesitation by the K20. The price is around $1,000 US and you will save this in film processing in no time. You will have limitless (virtually) size enlargments at your choosing and easily work with your photographs in pp without scanning. Also saving you money.

It frankly isn't a hard choice. Pentax is and has always been a solid camera system. I have thousands of dollars invested in Canon glass. This prohibits me from looking outside the system. The same is true for many of my Nikon buddies. While the optics are great on Canon and Nikon, once you invest changing becomes a rather difficult obstical.

Digital did change that a bit. So did Canon's mount change, F to EF. Either way, once you choose one or the other, you tend to be stuck. You're not. For this I envy you. You can use a variety of older lenses at a fraction of the cost yet still get image stabilisation and the latest digital technology from your camera.

Not to mention amazing new lenses that are far less expensive with great quality the same.

Just my thoughts.

-Nick

8. Katier

Katier TPF Noob!

"Pentax has some of the finest cameras available."

This is why I'm amazed when I hear people, many of whom DON'T have rakes of canon of nikon lenses, asking for a choice between Nikon or Canon. The more I look at it if you are starting from scratch right now Pentax IS the best choice.

K20D seems to beat everything in it's class and some above it and the K200D is damned fine too.

9. Katier

Katier TPF Noob!

Just phoned a store who do part exchanges, after exchange/cash back I'd pay £125 for a K200D ( they don't have any 20D's in stock ).

10. GeneralBenson

GeneralBenson TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Couldn't agree more. I'm glad I started with Pentax, and I have no plans of looking elsewhere.

11. Katier

Katier TPF Noob!

Picked her up to day and very happy with her :)

She's a little heavier than the 110D due to the weatherproofing but not badly.