Model head shots

wxnut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dougraflikphotography.com
Not sure this is the right area but, if a model is making a portfolio to show to agencies, should the pictures be what they actually look like or touched up with blemishes removed?

Thanks,
Doug

I would probably send a quick email to the agency asking if they prefer if a headshot is retouched or not.

If there was no response, I would assume no retouching - but that would only mean that the lighting would have to be very flattering and do all of the 'blemish removal' before entering the camera. From what I know about the model industry (which isn't much obviously) a lot of the recruiting/ initial self advertisements are polaroids.

Sorry, I don't think I helped that much :S

I was watching a programme last night, not model related, but one of the girls went to an agency to see if she would make the cut.

they took an instant Polaroid of her against the window, head and shoulders.

Not the best medium but I suspect it shows them what they are working with.

With that in mind I would have said natural pictures but do agree with above - call an agency or email and ask.

My understanding is that a model's portfolio should have blemishes removed etc. You want to show how good the model CAN look, not necessarily how they DO look. The retouchers who do the models for magazines etc. can and do remove blemishes and much more, so whatever you do for their portfolio can be done again by them, to an unbelievable degree. So I would say remove blemishes, whiten eyes and teeth, soften skin, remove stray hairs, remove/soften wrinkles, sharpen and enhance the eyes, the whole shebang.

For an actor's head shot, it depends. Mostly the actor's manager wants them to look good and get called in for an audition. However, it's a problem if the actor shows up and looks nothing like the photo. Casting agents hate that. So watch out for older actors especially. You don't want to make them look too young. i.e. You might soften wrinkes a little instead of removing them.

Matt, dude - you seem to have a great collection of inspirational links

There are some really good shots on there, watch the movie for full size.

Am I wrong, or is virtually every shot on that site shot from above eye level, looking down? I know it's more flattering of an angle, but you'd think they'd use different angles SOMETIMES, wouldn't you?

I think you are wrong ;) Less than half shot from above.

Am I wrong, or is virtually every shot on that site shot from above eye level, looking down? I know it's more flattering of an angle, but you'd think they'd use different angles SOMETIMES, wouldn't you?

A shot up the nose is seldom a good thing, cetainly not flattering.

And yes.... retouch blemishes.

Pete

If you are going to walk in with a portfolio you will want the pictures perfect! That is going to be the tool that the model uses to sell themselves to that agency and if they do like them, they will then go with the polaroids (head shot, full body shot, and profile) and then go from there. But usually unless you are scouted in the street by a rep from an agency I would definitely go with a perfect portolio under your arm!

Some agencies do accept online submissions or have certain days that they welcome drop-ins for new models to bring thier portfolio for viewing.

Most reactions

Back