Model Prices

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by gian133, Nov 18, 2009.

1. gian133

gian133 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've got some ideas for a shoot and would like to hire a model. I've been checking out ModelMayhem a bit but i have noticed something. I see that everyone wants you to give them the price. I have found a few models in the area that will do TFP but others even with no experience want pay.

I really have no clue as to what the price range should be. Obvously a more experience model gets more. More for longer distance traveled. But besides that i have no idea. Can you help me out? Give me an idea to get started?

Thank you for your help
    Gian

2. craig

craig TPF Noob!

What is your budget? Arguably the model should get a large portion of that amount while still being profitable for you.

Love & Bass

3. Gabriel

Gabriel TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not sure what you're planning to shoot, but if you're willing to pay why don't you call up some local agencies and see what they can offer you? Maybe you can work with one of their newer models for a lower rate, or even test some of the new girls instead.

I wouldn't rely on a Model Mayhem girl for a paid shoot, unless I had worked with her before.

4. gian133

gian133 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well this is not a paying job (for myself). Just a way to add to my portfolio.
    I have been to a few classes ($40 for a 2 hour class) that allowed me to shoot a model and use the photos for my portfolio but i would like to use my new lighting i purchased and try a shoot myself. I have gotten some practice with my setup so i figured i could bring in a model for something new (you can only take so many pictues of your sister and baby cousin :mrgreen:).
    So for my budget. Basically is...low. I am a student and kinda short of cash at the moment. Really i dont even want to throw out a number cause i have no clue.

The few i saw im interested in were Beginner model with none to some expirence. I would want shots in studio and some a local outdoor locations. At least a couple hours worth. Average/estimate cost ish?

5. gian133

gian133 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I was typing. Maybe i'll give that a try. Thanks

6. Kpablo

Kpablo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe this is really off, but couple of my friends are aspiring models, and one of them really does have potential. Remember, they need a portfolio too. Perhaps put a ad out in the newspaper or Craigslist?

7. DeadEye

DeadEye TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The going rate for my area on MM for a model of low experance is 25.00 an hour.

You get what you pay for though, expect to do a lot of direction.

For top notch results go to an agent or agency were the model is trained in their trade.

Put out a casting call and offer 25 hour for two hours on MM then screen out those not fitting your vision.

BEWARE there are weirdo types on MM.

8. ScottsdaleImages

ScottsdaleImages TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In my area, Phoenix, inexperienced models or simple shoots get $20-30 hr. If you want nude, that's $100/hr. You shouldn't have to spend more. However, you should be able to find TF* shoots on MM either by contacting inexperienced models, or posting a TF casting call. I have done that, and have had 3 shoots, with around 6 more scheduled over the next 2 weekends. Including one that loved my work so much she is coming back for a double shoot with her sister.

9. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Why would you say that? MM is about the best resource for locating models that I've found.

I've only had one model not make a shoot, and I wasn't too broken hearted about it given it was a TFP shoot. Of the models that I've paid, I've never been stood up. It seems if you offer them a fair rate it's a pretty good incentive for them to show.

I screen the girls before the shoot. I get their contact info, talk to them voice, check out their ports, chat with other photogs they've shot with, etc. If all you do is send them an email saying "hey, let's shoot" and then expect them to show for a freebie... yeah, they probably won't show. Especially if they're some 21 year old girl with 3 pictures in their port taken with P&S cameras by their boyfriends. :)

If you want agency models, you can locate them on MM too.

But the OP can't seem to find anyone local to him on MM (which seems odd).

OP, have you opened a casting call on MM? When I open them I usually get slammed with responses, especially if you're offering payment.

10. gian133

gian133 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the info everyone.

inTempus. There are many models in my area. Some just down the road actually. There are specifically a few i have found i like but the ones that want pay say they want me to make the offer. I came here to see what average prices are so i dont make a terribly low offer or get ripped off by offering too much. Sorry if i wasn't very clear in my first post.

Sounds like $25 hour is about the place to start.

Thanks for all the help.
    Gian

11. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You can do $25 an hour, that's reasonable for a model that knows what she's doing.

Let us know how it goes.

12. nightwing

nightwing TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What about offering a flat rate for a session?