Model Release Form

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by GermanyBert, Jul 18, 2008.

1. GermanyBert

GermanyBert TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have read quite a bit about the necessity of obtaining a model release form before selling any photos of people or putting them online.

This got me to wondering about paparazii. I am sure paparazii don't get releases from the people they take photos of so is a release form really necessary?

2. nynfortoo

nynfortoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think it actually applies to journalism. I could be wrong!

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The reason the papparazzi bottom feeders of the photographic world dont' require model releases is becuase the people they are photographing are considered figures of public interest, and are essentially stripped of their right to privacy.

If you are going to publish for profit (and check the details, this varies from country to country) the image of a person not deemed to be of public interest, or one whose image constitutes his or her livlihood (eg a model) than you need a release.

My rule of thumb is that I get a model/property release for any images which I think may be publication-worthy even if the law doesn't strictly require it. It will likely save a lot of hassle somewhere down the road.