model release question

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by rdodson, Nov 14, 2004.

1. rdodson

rdodson TPF Noob!

I have been doing nature photography almost exclusively and am now branching out into other areas.

I have a question concerning the use of images that contain people. If images contain people that one can identify, does the photographer need a model release? I know one can some times get around the release if the image is at a public event, but what if it's just a random public place?

Thanks any input will be appreciated!

2. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

3. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

If it is a random public place (the key word is 'public') then you do not need their permission UNLESS you single them out (Hey look, I caught this guy picking his nose...). The legal reasoning is that you did not ask them to be in the picture and at public gatherings people always take pictures: if you don't want to be in one don't go to public places.

4. rdodson

rdodson TPF Noob!

Wow, I read the threads. It seems most everybody has a different idea of the legality of the issue.

No wonder I like nature photography more... I've yet to have a rattlesnake say "hey buddy, if you're gonnna use that you gonna need to cut me a check"

Thanks for the input!

5. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

It may be best for you to pop into your town hall and ask some questions. They may be able to help you. :)