Model Release

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by RRose, Oct 3, 2006.

1. RRose

RRose TPF Noob!

I'm really not in business yet, but may try when I retire from my job. I avoid taking pictures of people because if by offchance I may sell a picture, I have no knowledge of when model releases are necessary. Any help would be appreciated.

RRose

2. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Don't take my word on it but I think just for advertisements

Someone else will know better than I

3. JDP

JDP TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    "[FONT=helvetica,arial,tahoma,verdana][SIZE=-1] Following industry standards, for any work that will appear in consumer or trade magazines, newspapers, or educational books, you generally do not need a model release. This is also true for photographic exhibits. These are considered educational/informational uses.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial,tahoma,verdana][SIZE=-1]However, for photos that will be used in commercial applications - ads, brochures, posters, greeting cards, catalogs, postcards, kiosks, trade shows, Web sites, etc. - you will need a release from your subject in order to be "legal."[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=helvetica,arial,tahoma,verdana][SIZE=-1]Some ask: "If you sell a photograph to a newspaper, is it now considered a commercial use since there was commercial gain?" or, "If you sell a print from an exhibit, is that commercial gain?" In theory, no. In practice, my photojournalist friends do not get releases; and my colleagues in the general editorial and fine art genres don't get releases very often, either."[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=helvetica,arial,tahoma,verdana][SIZE=-1]From BetterPhoto.Com
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

4. craig

craig TPF Noob!

In an editorial scenario get their name and number and let them know that the shot may or may not appear in editorial or personal work. Not easy, but you should make a strong effort. You own the image and if they have a problem with that they should speak up now. I have found that people rarely have a problem as long as everything is up front and clear.

Commercially the shot is a lot more controlled in that models sign to get on to the project.