Model Shoot - Heidi

I never thought she had liver spots or hairy man arms. I don't think it's the model at all. In fact, IMO the problems that I see with this image are down to you and your processing techniques. Yes, it is different and outside of the norm, but that doesn't make it a pleasing image. I am glad she has a sense of humor and still glad for you that she liked the final product. However, that does not necessarily constitue that she has a better eye. Is she a photographer in addition to being the client? There is a recent thread out there asking that very question. Is it good as long as the client likes it. From what I see and what I've read prior to my contribution, no one questions that your model is attractive. I don't find any of the comments to be harsh or rude. Honest seems to fit the bill. You did ask.

What a pleasing image is is all individual. To her, and me, and quite a few other photographers, it is pleasing. It may not be what YOU like, but that does not make it a bad picture, nor does it make my post processing bad or wrong... just different from what you would have done.
In my opinion, yes it is good as long as it is WHAT THE CLIENT WANTED. This is exactly what she wanted. So, since I gave my client exactly what she asked for, how could it not be good? Had I given her something else that was more esthetically pleasing to you, to her, I would probably have a name around town about taking good pics but not giving my clients what they ask for. I would rather ask them what THEY want, since it is THEIR picture, and do my best to give them what THEY WANT.
You seriousely don't see any of the comments as rude? Wow. Maybe I live in a place where critiquing someones work meant giving them helpful suggestions on what they would personally like to see with the image, not saying things like the model looks like she has liver spots or hairy man arms. Those comments honestly gave me NO help as to what they would prefer to see in the image, they were just rude. Some of the comments were nice and helpful and gave me ideas for future shots.
I did not post this picture to please anyone here, just to see what others might have done different, or if there was a way to keep this same look and make it better. I won't and can't change the look of this picture because it IS what the model wanted, part of my job is to give my clients what THEY want and do the best job I can do while doing that. My clients are happy and I am reccomended alot so I must be doing something right.

What a pleasing image is is all individual. To her, and me, and quite a few other photographers, it is pleasing. It may not be what YOU like, but that does not make it a bad picture, nor does it make my post processing bad or wrong... just different from what you would have done.
In my opinion, yes it is good as long as it is WHAT THE CLIENT WANTED. This is exactly what she wanted. So, since I gave my client exactly what she asked for, how could it not be good? Had I given her something else that was more esthetically pleasing to you, to her, I would probably have a name around town about taking good pics but not giving my clients what they ask for. I would rather ask them what THEY want, since it is THEIR picture, and do my best to give them what THEY WANT.
You seriousely don't see any of the comments as rude? Wow. Maybe I live in a place where critiquing someones work meant giving them helpful suggestions on what they would personally like to see with the image, not saying things like the model looks like she has liver spots or hairy man arms. Those comments honestly gave me NO help as to what they would prefer to see in the image, they were just rude. Some of the comments were nice and helpful and gave me ideas for future shots.
I did not post this picture to please anyone here, just to see what others might have done different, or if there was a way to keep this same look and make it better. I won't and can't change the look of this picture because it IS what the model wanted, part of my job is to give my clients what THEY want and do the best job I can do while doing that. My clients are happy and I am reccomended alot so I must be doing something right.

I usually don't post in here because nothing about my work or critique is professional :lol:, but I want to tell you that many people on here are harsh. And with the professional forum, the criticism is very, "in your face," and if someone has an issue with something and its posted here, you'll be notified in a way which almost resembles flaming (especially to someone like me with thin skin). Posting in the People Photography forum may not get as good of criticism, but your responses will be a bit warmer.

And a poster on here (the wonderful and intelligent Abraxas) told me one of the steps in taking a photograph is to identify your target audience beforehand. Since this was for you and her, your photo has TOTALLY met its purpose. If others don't like it, then it doesn't really matter! And from my beginner standpoint, I think its cool, and your model is very beautiful (like she doesn't already know that, lol).

As far as criticism, I definitely have no place to say anything in here, but I will say that maybe a different reaction would occur if this photo was put into perspective, where other, cleaner, photos were with it. Sometimes people dislike noise because they can't distinguish certain features. But its been my experience that people fill in the indistinguishable parts of a photograph with prior information when available. Whenever I see a bunch of low-key shots in a row, I get frustrated when I don't see at least one that shows the whole model's face. I feel like I need that info to enjoy the others (the mystery annoys me).

Sorry to make my post so long. I hope I didn't overstep my bounds, and if I did, I apologize. I just really enjoy your photo, and don't want you to get a bad taste in your mouth because of the way certain people talk on here. You're much too good of a photographer to leave, as many of us can help you, and many of us can learn from you!

If you made it this far, thanks. :)

Thanks. I think I will go read in that area. I appreciate your comments and actually think you have probably kept me on this site. I can say that I will not be posting another picture in this area, not due to people not liking this particular picture, just the immaturity of the way the responses are written. (not by all, but by some)

Thanks to all for posting.

Katz said:
<snipped>

just the immaturity of the way the responses are written. (not by all, but by some)

Thanks to all for posting.

Katz, I think you may be a little out of line here; you got a mix of positive and negative reviews for your work, but I don't believe any of them were rude or immature. Harsh? Yes. Direct? Yes. Why...

One of the things that you have to remember when you're posting a picture for review, especially, as Senor Hound noted, in the Professional Forum, is that it's going to be judged based on the generally accepted standards for an image of similar type. I think you have to agree that the image you have posted has areas where it differs from the norm. Therefore, if there are reasons, that you've done certain things, you need to explain those in order to get the most effective critique. If your initial post had said something like, "This image was processed in this way because...." then it would have been judged in an entirely different way.

Katz said:

I understand you said that the model liked it, but that IMHO, does not necessarily mean that it is a good image. If the model doesn't know a great deal about photography, or isn't experienced, then he or she may be happy with a substandard product (NOTE: I am not saying yours image is sub-standard, just making a point) because that's all they know. This is analogous to someone who doesn't know anything about construction saying that they like a particular house, even though it has no interior walls; if you don't know what something is supposed to be like, you're not ideally qualified to judge it.

A pictures "perfection" is based on what someone thinks about it. Therefore, if my client likes her picture alot, then it is perfect. Because someone on here may take more pictures or know more about HOW to take a picture does not make them any more qualified of a judge of how an image looks. It just means that they know more about how to run a camera. Some people will like my pics, others won't. So be it. But for people to be basically rude about them and insult the pic that I took WAS immature coming from what is supposed to be professionals.
I have no problem with constructive criticism and helpful critique, but rudeness and insults are just immature.

The hardest praise you can get is from your peers. These people know what looks good and what looks a little beginner (no matter what your client thinks). Sometimes criticism feels a little personal but don't take it that way, at least you talked a pretty girl into posing for you, that's a start. And your adjustments to this photo are typical of beginning photographers (no offense, I've made the same adjustments in the past). Just keep trying to get better and be open to some other points of view. Hang in there, I'm sure we'll see some better stuff from you in the future.

I understand you said that the model liked it, but that IMHO, does not necessarily mean that it is a good image. If the model doesn't know a great deal about photography, or isn't experienced, then he or she may be happy with a substandard product (NOTE: I am not saying yours image is sub-standard, just making a point) because that's all they know. This is analogous to someone who doesn't know anything about construction saying that they like a particular house, even though it has no interior walls; if you don't know what something is supposed to be like, you're not ideally qualified to judge it.

Perfectly stated. :thumbup:

Katz i really don't think anyone was trying to be rude to you. But on a forum such as this you will get people who will say exactly what they think without suger coating it... the key is to try and not take offense.
What comes out of it, is to then have a perspective of your own work which you may not have had before you posted it. This is hard to take, but actually makes you a better photographer for it.... the more opinions you have, the more consideration you give you own work, that can never be a negative thing.

For me personally, the image doesn't work as i see two styles of work being forced into one image. i.e. the more arty added noise look together with a clean studio type portrait, these two styles jar for me.
I do however like her pose alot. :)

I think the main problem here is that Katz posted this expecting everyone to love it and when just the opposite happened, he/she decided to take the defensive route. If you post on here, expect way worse than what people have been saying. I havn't seen anything that I'd called rude. Rude would just be saying "this sucks" and move on. Everyone has brought up a good point.

This picture reminds me of the 1000's of kids on myspace who make photography pages, just have endless point and shoot pictures with insane filters added, and call it photography. Granted, your client likes it, but I can guarantee any modeling agency is going to look at this shot, wonder what you were trying to cover up with all that grain, and toss it aside. If you want to make a photo more interesting it should be done when you're actually taking the picture. Composition and lighting can't be fixed post prod.

You also need to do something major to your website, b/c it doesn't look professional and the styling is way too old fashion and bland. I'll be honest, if I saw that as a potential customer, I would think you and your graphic designer had no idea what was going on and look elsewhere.

Last edited:
You also need to do something major to your website, b/c it doesn't look professional and the styling is way too old fashion and bland. I'll be honest, if I saw that as a potential customer, I would think you and your graphic designer had no idea what was going on and look elsewhere.

I have to agree and I hope that you take it all as *contructive* critisism and not destructive. It is to try to help you to be better and produce professional quality pictures. Those that are on your website I would not think "professional" at all. I am TRULY not saying this to be hurtful but to open your eyes a bit. Post here for CC and you can learn a LOT. Sometimes it hurts, though.

okay - for s&g's - what would make my site better? (I am already in the process of changing the video into more of a gallery with thumbnails)

My advice to you would be to join a forum such as www.ilovephotography.com where there are many pro's there who would give you exceptional CC.

If you want to get true feedback here at TPF, post individual pictures one by one and we can help you point out what issues there are, etc. Good luck :)

I have no problem with critique, it is the rudeness(or honesty as you call it), there was just no need for it. If you don't like the pic, then fine. Leave it at that. Different tastes.

I think if you are going to put an image up asking for critique you need to get a little tougher...I have learnt tons from harsh critique but at the same time I take what I want from it and the ones I don't agree with I let go over my head..If you want to improve I would say do not take things as personally everyone has a different opinion and they are all entitled to them! :)

Most reactions

Back