Model Shoot - Heidi

I've said it a million times, and I'll say it again... You can be kind and be critical at the same time. People who are critiquing: You don't have to sound short and harsh to get people to listen to you. If anything, your non-positive tone deters people from taking your advice. In other words, you lure more flies with honey than vodka.

And as far as saying, "I shouldn't HAVE to sugar-coat!" This is a cop-out. There's a difference between positive, constructive criticism and attaboys. Further more, there's a lot of things in life I feel I shouldn't HAVE to do, but I still do them anyway. Its called being an adult. This matter-of-fact attitude is IMO just another way of being rude, and is very counter-produtive to the critiquing process (after all, you want him to get better or you wouldn't have posted in the first place). If you wouldn't talk to your best friend thatway, you shouldn't talk to anyone else that way, either. Its called social skills.

Did you seriously just follow me into a completely different thread? where I took the time not only to make a helpful critique, but provided three examples of what I would do to improve business?

Did you seriously just follow me into a completely different thread? where I took the time not only to make a helpful critique, but provided three examples of what I would do to improve business?

If you're talking to me, I never mentioned you once, and I don't know what you're talking about. Guilty conscience?

Thats the one problem with critiques. Unless it's an obvious technical issue or flat mistake, it's really nothing more then an opinion.

There is nothing... "wrong"... with this image. It may not be right for Seventeen magazine, but could be prefect for some other magazine or book.

I guarantee theres images in mags, books ect ect that would have been ripped to shreds in here. Anybody still got the '06 Photographers Market book? Theres an image in there that made the cover of a book. The image itself is a shot of a woman, from just above the knees to around the belly,thats all. She's wearing a miniskirt thats all you can really tell because from below the knee and above the midsection it's all dark shadows. The shot is not even sharp! But it does have the same grain (noise) this image has!

Guess thats one nice thing about photography today. You can take one image and give it 5 or 6 diffrent looks.

For me, the picture looks really soft and overly PP'd. Just my opinion though. As someone stated above, comments and critique are mostly ones opinion. It's just something that you get used to when you ask peoples opinions. Doesn't mean that you should change your picture or heed what they say. It's just what they think.

If you're talking to me, I never mentioned you once, and I don't know what you're talking about. Guilty conscience?

No, but that was very reminiscent of that faces thread, where I said something about sugar coating. I didn't see where arch said that in this thread.

okay - for s&g's - what would make my site better? (I am already in the process of changing the video into more of a gallery with thumbnails)

For one, try changing the title of your website to something other than "index".

LocalSkater, Thanks for the links.
I am not a computer website designer or anything, and I made this myself in a short period of time, so I am always looking for ways to make my site look better.

dylj, To be 100% honest, I never noticed that. I never notice that on anyones site. I am usually just looking at the pages, not how they are saved. But thanks for pointing it out.

@katz - you did alright, your first shoot? - it's good.
maybe try some daylight pics also.
try some variation with angle-of-shot and closer-in.

Thanks, I am hoping to have her back in again next week for another shoot. Will try some new things..... maybe I can even get some of you to like what I do?? hehe

The only immaturity I see here is someone's inability to accept constructive criticism.

Most reactions

Back