Model Shoot @ Whetstone Park of Roses

I live in Columbus, and if she'd be interested in having me do some work with her, let me know. See my photo of Helen in this thread for reference.

I seriously get tired of people saying portraits need to be vertical. Serious lack of imagination/creativity. I do plenty of them in both direction and never had I seen this as a problem until I came here.

I wonder which direction I should have shot my portraits using a Hassy...:lmao:

Although I don't think yours work very well in this instance (too much space behind her,) keep shooting horizontal portraits if you like them.

When people are standing or seated, the photos should be vertical (the body fills the space in the photo better). If they're in a reclining position, then a horizontal will be just fine. It has nothing to do with 'creativity'. Such a remark shows that you don't understand the basics. Why show a bunch of empty space?

:meh:

Hasselblad negatives are intended to be cropped after taking. At the time of exposure, either a vertical or horizontal crop should be planned. Hasselblad intended the camera to be held in one basic position, but not to make square images. They should always be cropped either horizontally or vertically.

;)

This is a lot of dogmatic nonsense.

I appreciate the points about shooting vertical, although coming from a different creative background, I am really attracted to negative space. I think it can do a lot for both leading the viewer's eye and balancing elements out. Granted, I'm not saying "this is better and I don't care!", but I'm taking both sides into consideration as I slowly develop my own style.

I do appreciate both sides of the argument. It's very interesting to hear why some prefer only vertical and others do not.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back