Model Technique - Flight to Chicago

MightyLeeMoon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.transmissionfields.com
Here are a few pictures I took from the plane...followed by me using the photoshop technique to make those photos look like they taken of a train set:

Model1-U.jpg

Model1-P.jpg

Model2-U.jpg

Model2-P.jpg

Model3-U.jpg

Model3-P.jpg

Je-C said:
They definitely look like a train set model. Is there a place to find a tutorial on how to do that?

I forget the page I learned it from…but I found the site through some searching on Google.

Anyway…if memory serves me…it goes like this (I’m at work and don’t have PS):

Open your photo

Press Q to get into quick mask mode.

Select the Gradient tool…utilizing the repeating format (third button to the right, I believe)

Set it up as the default Black and White…and then flip it so that White is on Black.

Click and drag (with Gradient Tool active) for a focal point.

Press Q again to leave quick mask.

Now apply a Lens Blur (adjust settings to taste).

Okay...at this point most of the tutorials I found suggest modifying Curves to get a plastic type look. Me...I prefer to use Match Color. I boost Saturation all the way and bring up Luminance a bit (As far as I feel comfortable).

Unfortunately the fake DOF doesn't work for me if it cuts an object in half. Things like the buildings and trees should be either all blurry or all in focus. Modifying the gradient mask should help that. Anything perpendicular to the lens should have the same color over it entirety. It's the same reason that fake Lensbaby shots don't work for me, except there the plane is tilted, so it's even harder to fix.

markc said:
Unfortunately the fake DOF doesn't work for me if it cuts an object in half. Things like the buildings and trees should be either all blurry or all in focus. Modifying the gradient mask should help that. Anything perpendicular to the lens should have the same color over it entirety. It's the same reason that fake Lensbaby shots don't work for me, except there the plane is tilted, so it's even harder to fix.

Good point. I would go one step further and say that the further things are away from the focal point...the more out of focus they should be...

bangkok-Model.jpg

Nice! Yeah, that works a lot better for me. I might make that second green tower more in focus, but other than that, it really works great.

MightyLeeMoon said:
Good point. I would go one step further and say that the further things are away from the focal point...the more out of focus they should be...

Yup, that's why the gradient is there. It's trying to simulate that.

Most reactions

Back