Modeling industry and instagram

Hunter500

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Seems the modeling industry has changed drastically in the last 5 years. It has become more saturated and dominated by a completely unbalanced have and have nots.
After 10 years of testing, and editing for over 15 agencies in the Los Angeles area, it's become very different the last few years since Instagram. The level of perfection has increased dramatically in cellphone photos, and the amount being paid, has decreased substantually.
I went from 7000 a month to about 3000 a month, and working 3 times harder to get those gigs. Im also finding, that models are being selected through Instagram, and agencies are being avoided. so the agencies are now attacking photographers with things like slander and defamation of character. Its brutal. They have high quotas!!! They only want to use their photographers, over charge the models, and then get kickbacks. They also need their models, and photographers to have a higher following in order to get more bookings. They own the models, and they can't shoot with anyone but what is appointed to them.
They don't have any ethics or morals when it comes to photographers having degrees, or any loyalty to how long you have worked with them. They all follow the protocal. Los Angeles is a brutal market for photography, anyone will shoot for free, so the Agencies take advantage of that. Some agency managers will pay themselves, and just give the photographer pictures for their portfolio. Its free, or we will find someone else. Models make much less now compared to 10 years ago. So they don't really have a budget for photography. The agencies lend them the money as debt, and then they test. The industry is based on money in and no money out. Or its not in are best interest!!! Instagram has flooded the market with cellphone pics, and regular photography. So to many its just not worth anything more then a cellphone pic, its loosing its value, it's just not the same market anymore. People are very cost effective, not all of them, but a lot of people don't care about the best photography, if it's just good enough, then they will pay for the discounted pics. Setting yourself different, really is the key, although, its anything goes in the modeling industry!

A couple things,

Don't judge quality off of what a mediocre model will pay a mediocre photographer. or what "models" post on instagram.

Second,

Tell me what a degree in photography has to do with anything. Not trying to offend, but the people I know that made a living from photography had zero education in it. You'd be FAR better off with a business degree.

I think a degree in photography is essential to understand the funtimentals of composition and elements of design. Anyone can pick up a camera and shoot. Although, understanding that many people with a business degree arn't essentially good photographers, they just hustle the market with a camera, and know nothing about composition or design. I think business is good to understand, and will help, with a degree in photography. This is mainly the modeling industry, other platforms might be different. Although Instagram is what it is, its changing the way photography was, you can fight it all you want, but in reality its shifting photography.

Last edited:
I think a degree in photography is essential

Not really....

The path to learning is a varied one and a degree is only one path. I can read and I can practice but I dont need a degree to do so.

I love how people without photography Degree's, justify how much they they take Pride in getting a career in photography, then try to validate, it makes no difference they have no degree. That's the problem. Their may be many people with a pen and paper, but few are POETS!

I know everything's saturated. They should require a degree for everything. But everyone's so cost effective!, they will flood the market with anyone and anything to save a buck!

Any chance the Mods can kick this rant to the curb?

I love how people without photography Degree's, justify how much they they take Pride in getting a career in photography, then try to validate, it makes no difference they have no degree. That's the problem. Their may be many people with a pen and paper, but few are POETS!
Ok, well I can name a ton of the most revered poets of all time. I can't think of one of them that had a college degree in poetry. Most of the folks that are most notable in the art world didn't have degrees in their chosen field either.

Nothing against those folks that go to college and get a degree mind you, but it's hardly a guarantee of the final results.

I get that your obviously upset about your situation, but frankly maybe it's time you stopped getting all worked up over stuff you can't control and start focusing on stuff you can.

Try finding a new new niche, look at relocating, etc. Posting a snark filled rant isn't going to change anything. Only you can do that.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

CheeseWithThatWhine.gif

Any chance the Mods can kick this rant to the curb?
No need to kick it to the curb, since no TPF guidelines have been violated here. But I agree that this is not an article, but a discussion, so I've moved it to a more appropriate forum.

They should require a degree for everything
So people without degrees do what?
I am the only one of 5 children without a degree. My 4 siblings have successful and happy lives. I have a happy and successful life based on working my way up in the aviation industry, which has taken me all over the planet and earned me a lot of money. Chances are that if you have flown on a commercial international flight some of my career was spent making your journey safer.
According to your logic I am not deserving of this career and happy life.

REALLY !!

Most reactions

Back