Modeling

SouthLand

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would love some comments on these 3 photos. The ladies were happy, but I would like to know what I can do better next time.

southlandShea.jpg

SouthlandErin.jpg

showfull.php
southlandAmber.jpg

Thanks.

showfull.php

Hmmm... to be honest, I think they're a good start, and if the client's happy, that's the main thing. A few thoughts:

1. Very mid-tone rich. This looks to me at least 2/3 of a stop over-exposed (unless she's very dark-skinned) and slightly low in contrast. I would also consider the background: If you use longer glass and separate her more from the background you can render it more softly focused and keep the viewers attention focused on the subject.

2. Rather too centred for my taste and again, too much DoF. As well, the chairs make for a rather busy, distracting background. The pose is not one I would choose; it might work better if she were wearing jeans and a t-shirt, but as-is, seems rather too informal for the clothes and 'look' she has.

3. I would say the face could stand to be about 1/3 stop brigher and I'm not a fan of the 'up the nose' pose. The background for this one is very good, but she appears rather stiff to me.

You've got some really attractive models here, and if the opportunity presents itself, I would say get back out there with them and shoot some more!

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Hmmm... to be honest, I think they're a good start, and if the client's happy, that's the main thing. A few thoughts:

1. Very mid-tone rich. This looks to me at least 2/3 of a stop over-exposed (unless she's very dark-skinned) and slightly low in contrast. I would also consider the background: If you use longer glass and separate her more from the background you can render it more softly focused and keep the viewers attention focused on the subject.

2. Rather too centred for my taste and again, too much DoF. As well, the chairs make for a rather busy, distracting background. The pose is not one I would choose; it might work better if she were wearing jeans and a t-shirt, but as-is, seems rather too informal for the clothes and 'look' she has.

3. I would say the face could stand to be about 1/3 stop brigher and I'm not a fan of the 'up the nose' pose. The background for this one is very good, but she appears rather stiff to me.

You've got some really attractive models here, and if the opportunity presents itself, I would say get back out there with them and shoot some more!

~John

I was about to type out my impressions on 2 & 3, but I agree 100% with these statements, so I won't retype it. :)

i wish they werent all so centered.. but they look pretty good to me!

~John

I was about to type out my impressions on 2 & 3, but I agree 100% with these statements, so I won't retype it. :)

Finally a nice critique without a bashing. :) I must be getting a little better.

1 - She is dark, but I wouldn't say "very" but I will check the exposure. Seperation is probably what I should have done. I don't know why I always assume that the subject has to be leaning against the wall all the time.

2- I originally took the picture form across the street. I cut it down as much as I could without it becoming an issue. It wasn't really posed, I liked this one because it was more candid.

3- This was a fire escape on the second floor with me shooting half way down the stairs. I see your point about the nostrils too.

Thanks guys! :)

My interpretation of 'flat': Flat is in reference to the lighting. They look dimension-less. A light hitting from one direct angle to accentuate features on one side of the face more than others gives it a more 'rounded' look, rather than 'flat.' Think about your subject as a spherical ball sitting on a stool. If you shine light at one side of the ball, it creates shadow on the other side of the ball, making it appear a spherical object. However, direct light smacking right into the front of the ball causes no shadow, and makes it appear as a flat circle. Here's an example of a photo with lighting at an angle that causes her to look less 'flat'

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/154/e/5/e5b4a4775966dccf4bca35d83f130b58.jpg

Not my image, just an example. Hope you got what I meant!

My interpretation of 'flat': Flat is in reference to the lighting. They look dimension-less. A light hitting from one direct angle to accentuate features on one side of the face more than others gives it a more 'rounded' look, rather than 'flat.' Think about your subject as a spherical ball sitting on a stool. If you shine light at one side of the ball, it creates shadow on the other side of the ball, making it appear a spherical object. However, direct light smacking right into the front of the ball causes no shadow, and makes it appear as a flat circle. Here's an example of a photo with lighting at an angle that causes her to look less 'flat'

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/154/e/5/e5b4a4775966dccf4bca35d83f130b58.jpg

Not my image, just an example. Hope you got what I meant!

That makes sense! Thanks for the note!

~John
I've liked that pose since Bob Guccione pulled it off years ago. A big s-eating or flirty grin would have made it even better.:blushing:

I too like the pose. I agree that if you can get rid of the chairs etc would have been better but the pose and outfit are what make it interesting to me.

I dont care for number one just because its dark, shes a pretty girl but her top is making her appear short necked and busty.

Sorry thats just my personal thoughts. Three is good, I love the background on this. I have read the nostril comment but still is a nice shot. Makes her look long. Might be able to play with angle to keep the effect but with out the nostrils.

1: Everything appears too flat, everything blends together, what method are you using for your black and white conversion in pp?

2: Unlike that other guy said, this one should be centered as its decently symmetric, however the backgroud and surroundings throw off the symmetry so it doesn't really work out. I would've also said move much much closer on this one when you were shooting it.

3: It just looks awkwardly unnatural. Not liking this pose it doesn't work.

Overall 2 is best, it still needs some work but it has potential. I feel like if you shot it much closer it would've been great

Thanks for the notes guys. :)

B&W - I just used the covert to B&W option in PSE. Is that bad?

~John

same comments about no 2.

Thanks for the notes guys. :)

B&W - I just used the covert to B&W option in PSE. Is that bad?

Are you seeing this screen? (not these percentages)
Screenshot2010-06-08at20326PM.png

This isnt the only way to do black and white but this way you have much more control over all the different individual color channels. This way you can tweak the different colors and to make it pop more.

Most reactions

Back