Modern flash, vintage (?) camera

iain

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey All,
I need some help from someone who has experience with using older cameras for flash photography. I have a Canon FT, a ROWI hot shoe adapter and a Nissin 27BZT flash and I'm having a bit of trouble trying to get them to all work together :? Need some help soon, the Sydney Motor Show's on atm and I'm going soon! Can't miss that opportunity! :wink: I'd really appreciate some help with this!

Am I in the right forum?

I am not familiar with the equipment that you mentioned, but I regularly use modern flashes with vintage cameras(much older models than the Canon you mentioned). If you are having problems I would try to test each part on a system you know works; 9 times out of ten it's a broken flash cord. Test the camera body with a working flash, test the hotshoe adapter and cord (seperately) with a working camera and flash, etc....

I recommend taking all your equipment to the store when purchasing flashes and flash accessories. That is the only way to guarantee that they are going to work together.

Do the contacts on the adaptor match the contacts on the flash? Your Canon should have only a single centered contact on the shoe if it hot, so there shouldn't be a dedication problem. It is better to have a newer flash on an old camera than the other way. The older flashes had higher voltage than the new ones and can fry your new cameras circuitry.

My camera's an FT, the model before the FTb. They brought out the hot shoe on the FTb :x The flash itself works most of the time (sometimes the contacts must be dirty or not quite touching coz it doesn't, but most often it does work), but I've taken about 10 photos with it and it just won't sync properly. Any ideas? Thanx for your help, btw!

Most reactions

Back