Mom has an SLR

357magnum

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
yeah and she might teach me how to use it and maybe sell it to me after she teaches me everything, i dont know the exact model but it takes good pictures. its film. yeah..pointless thread...but any thing i should know about using one?

Um.. there's lots to know.
Do you have any specific questions? Do you understand shutter speed, aperature, ISO, etc?

I don't quite know how to answer this as it's pretty vague.

theres no manual i think she lost it, and shes still trying to get around to teaching me, shes been really busy with horse training, teaching school and going to the doctor every day, she had a stroke..suprising because shes 37 and in the best shape ever..sucks.

I was serious about reading the Ansel Adams books. They are a little hard to get through but It will enrich you as a photographer in ways you didn't know there were.  A lot of libraries have them.

You can usually find the owners manuals for older cameras on the net, do a search. Remember, almost anyone can pick up a hammer and a chisel but it takes practice and vision (Mr. Adams) to be a Sculptor. So too does it take practice and vision to be a photographer even a good son/daughter.

Your mother is in my prayers

Good luck

mike

Honestly... if you want to learn bad enough, teach yourself.
My first book was 'Alpha Teach Yourself Black and White Photography in 24 Hours' by Thomas McGovern. It's AWESOME. And it doesnt matter what kind of camera you have.

I, as many people on here I'm sure, never had anyone show us the ins and outs of how to operate a camera. You just have to pick it up and start taking pictures.
If you want our advice and critque scan them and post them here or get them on disc when you get them developed (most places can do this now).

Start reading everything you can get your hands on. Books, magazines, websites.

Ditto Mike E on the Adams books. While I'm not particularly a fan of his work at all, I think he was one of the clearest writers on camera work I've ever encountered. I imagine that he was probably one of the best teachers too, but I missed out on that. The "trilogy" ("The Camera, "The Negative," and "The Print") could conceivably contain all you need to know. Anything else you need will be learned by taking lots of pictures.

I think just take photos and when you have any problems/questions however stupid you think they are, just pop onto the board here and ask away. Plenty of friendly and helpful folk here =)

Then read Ansel Adams. It doesn't matter whether or not you use a view camera, just read them all. Check back after. :) mike
This apparantly is a prominent figure in photography and I will look into it. Is there an opposing view or school of though to this person though? I want to get as many viewpoints as I can.

It would be of some use if you mentioned which camera you are going to be using, as a lot of people on here will have probably owned one, or maybe still do, and then they can help point you in a starting direction

My wishes to you Mum and your family

Cheers Steve

Most reactions

New Topics

Back