icassell

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Beluga whale and baby, Stanley Park Zoo, Vancouver, BC

_MG_5896.jpg

Nice capture.

I tried to go to the Stanley Park Aquarium last Sunday but everyone was evacuated because their power went down. So now I'm planning to go back.

I was finding it really difficult to get proper exposure through the small fish tanks because they're so dark. What kind of lens are you using? Was there enough light to capture these whales with a fast enough shutter speed?

The exif data says your shot it 1/160 and f/7.1 and no flash. I've got a 50mm f/1.8 lens but it's manual focus on my D90 so it really hard to focus on moving fish.

I took this back in June -- my bet is these guys are getting big fast. Not only was it dark , but the tank was also filthy with cloudy water. This one looked terrible in color, which is why I converted it to B/W. Taken with the 30D and a Sigma 100-300mm f/4. Lens was at 100mm ISO 320. The lens was really too long for this venue. Your 50mm f/1.8 should do great .... set the focus to where the fish will be before it swims by and you'll have a good chance. Here's one of the color images -- you can see why I converted it.

Attachments

• $_MG_5899.jpg
    $_MG_5899.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 66
  • $_MG_5899a.jpg
    $_MG_5899a.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back