Momma, I'm coming home!

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well as hard as it is for me to type this, I have decided it is time to part ways with Canon. They wanted me to sign a NDA just to keep the loaner camera that was working perfectly. Canon did not want me to post anything anywhere on line about them. They also wanted me to give up all rights of ever suing them and the contract was open ended with no expiration date. Screw that!

Anyways my plan is to get the D500 in a few months, but in the interim I think I will pick up a D600. That way I will have a back up full frame later on. I've tossed around another D7100, but the buffer is a real bummer. Even a D300 Since they are stupid cheap or even a D700 so I would have similar controls. I really like the idea of the D700, but it is a bit dated and I don't think I would dig only have about 5 MP in crop mode.

On the lens front I am leaning towards a Sigma 150-600 Sport. I am pretty bummed that I won't be able to keep the 500 F4. It is the love of my life, but sadly I won't use gear from a company that doesn't stand behind their products. I have actually proven using FoCal and real life tests that not all 7dm2 bodies produce the same levels of sharpness in controlled situations. Anyways the gear in my siggy will soon be for sale except the 1D4 which is going back to Melissa Groo.

So is Canon going to give you a refund on the body that's not working properly?

Wow! They are making a terrible decision in my opinion. Not long ago it seemed like they wanted to keep you happy. Big corporations continue to let me down. :(

Coastal, sorry to hear that Canon thing didn't work out.
Thanks robbins
Hmm, Sony has a 500mm f/4 ...
LOL, I could just buy a sony camera and stick the Canon 500 F4 on it..
So is Canon going to give you a refund on the body that's not working properly?
I doubt it. The CSR gave me serious attitude when I told him I would not sign the NDA. They said the replacement camera was performing to their specs so that is what I'm getting I guess
Wow! They are making a terrible decision in my opinion. Not long ago it seemed like they wanted to keep you happy. Big corporations continue to let me down. :(
Yeah, it's a big bummer. Tough decision which body I want to buy to re-enter Nikon world...

LOL, I could just buy a sony camera and stick the Canon 500 F4 on it..

You know you could probably do that and help finance it all at the same time. I imagine a lot of people would be willing to throw in a couple of bucks to see a picture of a Canon 500 F4 mounted on a Sony A7RII.. lol

Yeah, it's a big bummer. Tough decision which body I want to buy to re-enter Nikon world...

Well as you mentioned the 7100 has kind of a limited buffer, 7200 might be an option - I just got my own D600 and haven't really got a chance to put it through its paces but fairly impressed at least thus far.

Never been a fan of Canon. We had a few of the c7011vp presses for a while but they were junk compared to iGen.
I have a AIO printer at the house that's fine though.
My wife had a few of the film cameras but always preferred using my Nikon's.

Good luck with all of it! I would like to hear what you think of the D500 once you get it. It's kind of funny my sister shoots Canon and bought a 7D because of the pictures you get with it.

Good luck. Pity about the 500 though, that is one sweeeet piece of glass. Have you thought about the Nikon 200-500, or will you get the Sigma dock for fine tuning?

I head out regularly with a buddy who has a (I think working fine) 7dii and I use a d7200. We probably get a similar amount of keepers from various shoots etc. The d7200 may be an option, I had the d7100 and do think the d7200 is a little better, especially the buffer. Maybe 6fps isn't enough for you?

Nikon do an equivalent 500 f4, will you swap one brand for the other here also?

When one door closes......

Your work speaks for itself and you'll have no problem finding your footing again.

Good luck with all of it! I would like to hear what you think of the D500 once you get it. It's kind of funny my sister shoots Canon and bought a 7D because of the pictures you get with it.
Thank John, The 7dm2 is a great camera. I wish I had just gotten one that works correctly. I kind of feel like a wasted a year of my life and feel quite burned by Canon now..
Good luck. Pity about the 500 though, that is one sweeeet piece of glass. Have you thought about the Nikon 200-500, or will you get the Sigma dock for fine tuning?
From everything I have seen, especially the newest review on Photography Life, the Sigma seems to be a better lens if you get a good copy. Brad Hill seems to love it even though he was skeptical at first. The extra weight doesn't bother me and it is still over 2# lighter than the 500 F4. The Sigma seems to have a better build and weather sealing which is important since I shoot in all kinds of crap. Plus using Greentoe I seem to be close to getting one for less than $100 more than the Nikon
That really sucks.
Here's to a smooth transition.
Thank you sir!
I head out regularly with a buddy who has a (I think working fine) 7dii and I use a d7200. We probably get a similar amount of keepers from various shoots etc. The d7200 may be an option, I had the d7100 and do think the d7200 is a little better, especially the buffer. Maybe 6fps isn't enough for you?
Nikon do an equivalent 500 f4, will you swap one brand for the other here also?
The problem I'm having is that I only need a temporary camera that will become a backup. The D600 will have the advantage in lower light which I might need with the slower lens on overcast days. Unless I went with a D700 it seems I will be stuck at 6 FPS irregardless. I don't want to spend a ton of money until I sell some of the Canon gear. Yes Nikon does make a killer 500 F4 as well, but it comes down to money. The D500 will set me back 2K so I won't have enough money left in the budget for the 500 unfortunately...
When one door closes......
Your work speaks for itself and you'll have no problem finding your footing again.
Thanks Sean

It's disgusting to me that a company will only fix a problem for you if a non-disclosure agreement is signed. I honestly admire the restraint that you have -- I'd want to scream it from the mountain tops if a company got in the way of my work like that. You and your work definitely have the platform to do so.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back