Status
Not open for further replies.

gabelimom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all-

I stumbled across this acronym today in a New York Times article. The article was about the new surge in mommies who are taking their cameras and launching photography businesses with them. I was wondering if anyone else saw the article and what their thoughts are. Have you guys come across MWAC, and are they taken seriously in the photographic world? Looking forward to your responses. Thanks! ;)

Hi, My mother falls into this category, she recently purchased a Nikon D80 and loves it, we plan on opening a studio together, she has been freelancing for some time now and im starting my own design firm.
I also know a portrait photographer that works out of her house, after the kids go to school in the morning she converts the living room into a sit in studio. Makes a nice chunk of change doing so as well, enough to fund an upgrade from a D40 to a lovely D2x!

:( More people saturating the market not because they like the industry but because they want to earn some more spare change with the equipment they have.

I've seen a TON of people who shoot with their new (usually the Rebel) kits in the green Auto mode, and still don't understand how much power they have with it. Outside at dawn or dusk and the flash just pops up on its own.:thumbdown::-(

I think I would fall into this simply because I am a photographer (or at least a student of photography) and because I am a mom. I am also attempting to break into the field myself but not yet full time. I know I still have lots to learn. I think it depends on how serious they are about the craft. Just because you have the expensive camera and software doesn't mean you're a photographer. I know some MWAC's that do it just because their hubby's bought them the newest Rebel. And I know others who are serious about the craft and just happen to be mothers. Does me being a Mom first make me any less of a photographer? I don't think so. It just means that I put my kids first and will sacrifice money and time for photography for them.

Yeah I see tons of them every day. Certainly there are a few who know what they're doing...somewhere. But I haven't seen any yet who take respectable photos.

...and it's depressing the demand for professional work, especially in the wedding area. In some parts of the country, many pros have gotten out of the wedding business altogether due to the surge of non-pros doing weddings for $300. They don't usually stay in business long but it's enough to lower the pricing to the point where pros can't do the work for the going rate.

I think I would fall into this simply because I am a photographer (or at least a student of photography) and because I am a mom. I am also attempting to break into the field myself but not yet full time. I know I still have lots to learn. I think it depends on how serious they are about the craft. Just because you have the expensive camera and software doesn't mean you're a photographer. I know some MWAC's that do it just because their hubby's bought them the newest Rebel. And I know others who are serious about the craft and just happen to be mothers. Does me being a Mom first make me any less of a photographer? I don't think so. It just means that I put my kids first and will sacrifice money and time for photography for them.

I don't know if that earns you the title of MWAC, because there's a negative connotation to that term-- it means something different than simply "mom and photographer," and it's not good.

Personally, I have an overwhelming disgust for anyone who talks about, "Doing some photography on the side to make some money." :banghead: It just so happens that where I live, many of those people have young children and don't have jobs. Coincidence? Maybe it's the modern-day woman's version of selling Avon. Everyone needs a social life and a sense of purpose.

One of the members of this forum was interviewed for that article, and was very displeased with the tone. She has worked hard to build a successful business.

http://www.jottephotography.com/blu_site/index2.php

To me, is masogonistic and sexist to call it moms with a camera, when clearly, there are plenty of dads too, and college kids, and even high school kids.

It would be more correct to call it, "amateurs with a camera".

One of the members of this forum was interviewed for that article, and was very displeased with the tone. She has worked hard to build a successful business.

To me, is masogonistic and sexist to call it moms with a camera, when clearly, there are plenty of dads too, and college kids, and even high school kids.

Matt I agree with this! It is sexist. God forbid a woman, who is a mom. has talent. Is she automatically MWAC. Thats crap. I think people in general who get "more than a point and shoot" try their hand at photography for money. The thing some people do not understand is you cannot teach a photographers eye. You can teach lighting, composition but you have to have something diff. in order to make you a successful photographer not just a camera.

I don't know if that earns you the title of MWAC, because there's a negative connotation to that term-- it means something different than simply "mom and photographer," and it's not good.

Personally, I have an overwhelming disgust for anyone who talks about, "Doing some photography on the side to make some money." :banghead: It just so happens that where I live, many of those people have young children and don't have jobs. Coincidence? Maybe it's the modern-day woman's version of selling Avon. Everyone needs a social life and a sense of purpose.

I realize there's a negative connotation to the term. To some people, I may fall into the MWAC category. To others, I may fall into the photographer who is a mom category. The way I'm seeing this based on the article and some of the replies here is that some of these Moms are taken seriously because they started out as MWAC and worked into something respectable and is considered to be a professional in their area. Others do it until they get bored with the whole hobby. I think those are the ones that can hurt business for others. Those are the ones that the article is being negative about are the ones that do not have the years of experience and learning many others do. I am a Mom. I have a camera. I'm working at becoming a full time professional. In the meantime, I do it "on the side" while I learn and develop my skills.

I guess what I'm saying is that based on what I've shared about myself, some people would not consider me a serious photographer or even professional. Others would not even take the whole Mom thing into consideration.

Why? I don't understand the hostility/disgust? It almost sound elitist.:neutral:

I understand the tone. Real photographers can put life's work into their art, and then amateurs come along and all they do is cause ... well the incorrect term for it is competition, better though to say a dilution in the market. They are often people who do not take very good photos, are not in the industry long, and all they do is cause hassles. Weddings are one examples as given above. But what about race events where a bunch of amateurs go and take photos which are not as good as the pros and then sell them really cheap to the drivers. While you could apply "you get what you pay for" to this thought, the purchasers normally have no idea that they aren't getting the real deal. It's almost like grey imports being sold at retail outlets, you don't know what you have until you try to make a warranty claim.

If you are a photographer, be a photographer, if you are an amateur (me) don't go and steal real photographers' lively-hoods by trying to flog off inferior goods for "some extra cash".

America loves to call names, and I'm not sure MWAC is sexist. The name comes from people who aren't full time at a employment place, usually a stay-at-home-mom. That probably is a good description of the majority of people that are being described. For example, how many stay-at-home Dads are there? I'm one so I know. All I'm saying is let's not be too sensitive here. If the majority of people don't like the name, let's drop it.

Having said that, I know several stay-at-home moms that are part-time photographers, are certified in PPA and do an excellent job. In one case, her husband built her a studio in their garage and I ask HER for advice. And SHE complains about amateur digital photogaphers, too.

Let's not get off the point, which is "has digital photography gotten so simple and easy that non-pros can effect the professional market?"

I'll make my point again here that your average American consumer equates "digital" with "easy to use."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back