Moms With A Camera, or MWAC

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by gabelimom, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gabelimom

gabelimom TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi all-

I stumbled across this acronym today in a New York Times article. The article was about the new surge in mommies who are taking their cameras and launching photography businesses with them. I was wondering if anyone else saw the article and what their thoughts are. Have you guys come across MWAC, and are they taken seriously in the photographic world? Looking forward to your responses. Thanks! ;)

2. CBRfanatic

CBRfanatic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi, My mother falls into this category, she recently purchased a Nikon D80 and loves it, we plan on opening a studio together, she has been freelancing for some time now and im starting my own design firm.
    I also know a portrait photographer that works out of her house, after the kids go to school in the morning she converts the living room into a sit in studio. Makes a nice chunk of change doing so as well, enough to fund an upgrade from a D40 to a lovely D2x!

3. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :( More people saturating the market not because they like the industry but because they want to earn some more spare change with the equipment they have.

4. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've seen a TON of people who shoot with their new (usually the Rebel) kits in the green Auto mode, and still don't understand how much power they have with it. Outside at dawn or dusk and the flash just pops up on its own.:thumbdown::-(

5. brighteyesphotos

brighteyesphotos TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think I would fall into this simply because I am a photographer (or at least a student of photography) and because I am a mom. I am also attempting to break into the field myself but not yet full time. I know I still have lots to learn. I think it depends on how serious they are about the craft. Just because you have the expensive camera and software doesn't mean you're a photographer. I know some MWAC's that do it just because their hubby's bought them the newest Rebel. And I know others who are serious about the craft and just happen to be mothers. Does me being a Mom first make me any less of a photographer? I don't think so. It just means that I put my kids first and will sacrifice money and time for photography for them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah I see tons of them every day. Certainly there are a few who know what they're doing...somewhere. But I haven't seen any yet who take respectable photos.

7. RVsForFun

RVsForFun TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ...and it's depressing the demand for professional work, especially in the wedding area. In some parts of the country, many pros have gotten out of the wedding business altogether due to the surge of non-pros doing weddings for $300. They don't usually stay in business long but it's enough to lower the pricing to the point where pros can't do the work for the going rate.

8. Aquarium Dreams

Aquarium Dreams TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't know if that earns you the title of MWAC, because there's a negative connotation to that term-- it means something different than simply "mom and photographer," and it's not good.

Personally, I have an overwhelming disgust for anyone who talks about, "Doing some photography on the side to make some money." :banghead: It just so happens that where I live, many of those people have young children and don't have jobs. Coincidence? Maybe it's the modern-day woman's version of selling Avon. Everyone needs a social life and a sense of purpose.

9. gmarquez

gmarquez TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Why? I don't understand the hostility/disgust? It almost sound elitist.:neutral:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    One of the members of this forum was interviewed for that article, and was very displeased with the tone. She has worked hard to build a successful business.

http://www.jottephotography.com/blu_site/index2.php

To me, is masogonistic and sexist to call it moms with a camera, when clearly, there are plenty of dads too, and college kids, and even high school kids.

It would be more correct to call it, "amateurs with a camera".

• Like Like x 1
  11. zendianah

zendianah TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Matt I agree with this! It is sexist. God forbid a woman, who is a mom. has talent. Is she automatically MWAC. Thats crap. I think people in general who get "more than a point and shoot" try their hand at photography for money. The thing some people do not understand is you cannot teach a photographers eye. You can teach lighting, composition but you have to have something diff. in order to make you a successful photographer not just a camera.

• Like Like x 1
  12. brighteyesphotos

brighteyesphotos TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I realize there's a negative connotation to the term. To some people, I may fall into the MWAC category. To others, I may fall into the photographer who is a mom category. The way I'm seeing this based on the article and some of the replies here is that some of these Moms are taken seriously because they started out as MWAC and worked into something respectable and is considered to be a professional in their area. Others do it until they get bored with the whole hobby. I think those are the ones that can hurt business for others. Those are the ones that the article is being negative about are the ones that do not have the years of experience and learning many others do. I am a Mom. I have a camera. I'm working at becoming a full time professional. In the meantime, I do it "on the side" while I learn and develop my skills.

I guess what I'm saying is that based on what I've shared about myself, some people would not consider me a serious photographer or even professional. Others would not even take the whole Mom thing into consideration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.