Money > knowledge = funny, unless it gets cocky

Vicelord John

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I work in a resort, and I'm the concierge. My job is to hang out and schmooze people, make them happy, engage them, and help with whatever it is.

So I saw a guy with a 17-50mm f2.8 sitting on a D60 body and was kind of intrigued, so I engaged him.

"that 2.8 glass is awesome isn't it? Does it autofocus on that body?" I asked him, and was unprepared for hte answer that came next.

"I don't know. I just got this N60 for christmas and got the best lens I could get."

I looked at the camera puzzled and started mumbling the name of his D60 and he corrected himself. It was at this point I realized he was a n00b with a lot of money. No problem. I happen to have my gear here at work so I started to tell him I shoot Nikon as well and said I want to start investing in 2.8 glass soon, and complimented him on his gear.

the reply?

"Well, I've been wanting to get a 2.8, but they are just so damned expensive. I know the prices are coming down rapidly, but last time I checked it costs about $2,000."

I interpreted this as him saying he wanted a 2.8 aperture. Maybe he wanted Apple's Aperture v2.8 if they make such a program? Does he need to get an aperture? Maybe his old one broke?

"sir, you already have a 2.8 lens. What lens do you want in 2.8?"

"2.8 is not a lens, it is an aperture. It is very expensive, and I want to get one when the prices come down." He said, and then left hastily.

I thought someone might get a chuckle out of this schmuck's ignorance combined with his arrogance. Does he know you don't go out and buy "an aperture?"

Nothing new, there are loads of post on here "i have just bought a D700 what settings would you use at a wedding never used a DSlr before" :lmao:

I think they all got the lens caps off though.

I'm gonna guess a BMW, and that's not a Speed Triple... look closer!

thanks though!

I'm at a loss as to where the "arrogance" is coming from. Confusion on camera lingo - sure. Arrogance - not at all. I mean there IS some arrogance in this thread, but it's not coming from the hapless fellow with nice lens.

As the saying goes, "Ride YOUR ride. . ." - and leave everyone else to ride theirs.

I'm at a loss as to where the "arrogance" is coming from. Confusion on camera lingo - sure. Arrogance - not at all. I mean there IS some arrogance in this thread, but it's not coming from the hapless fellow with nice lens.

As the saying goes, "Ride YOUR ride. . ." - and leave everyone else to ride theirs.
I guess it's fair that I couldn't properly convey his corrective and demeaning term when he was explaining what "a 2.8" is to me. "It's NOT a lens."

:lol:

I guess it's fair that I couldn't properly convey his corrective and demeaning term when he was explaining what "a 2.8" is to me. "It's NOT a lens."

To his credit, YOU were probably imposing on his personal space, and he felt frustrated that he had to explain (improperly) to you anything about his personal equipment. If he had approached YOU with the attitude, perhaps you can feel as if some social crime was committed her. However you approached him; next time be more careful and your sensibilities wont be so shattered.

To his credit, YOU were probably imposing on his personal space, and he felt frustrated that he had to explain (improperly) to you anything about his personal equipment. If he had approached YOU with the attitude, perhaps you can feel as if some social crime was committed her. However you approached him; next time be more careful and your sensibilities wont be so shattered.

It's my job.... He asked me to obtain some materials for him, and rather than sit in silence whilst we waited 3 or 4 minutes for them to get here from housekeeping, I tried to engage him in conversation.

I fail to see how you are making me out to be in the wrong here.

If a concierge came up to me, and started engaging me in conversation about a subject I thought I was informed in and proceeded to correct me (even if I were wrong), I would walk away and ask not to be bothered.

I'm not going to defend myself on a discussion I had with someone else that you didn't observe. I didn't type out every word because this thread would have been too long to read. I gave you the cliffnotes.

Mods, please close this thread.

I'm not going to defend myself on a discussion I had with someone else that you didn't observe. I didn't type out every word because this thread would have been too long to read. I gave you the cliffnotes.

Mods, please close this thread.

Then next time say: I paraphrased this conversation to make myself look better; I don't want actual opinions, just to be patted on the back for my ability to spot "teh newbs!"

Problem solved.

In the other thread, you were chastising people for "the assumptions of folks who seem to know the situation better than the OP."

Quite hypocritical, sir.

please take your e-thug behavior elsewhere. I don't want it here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back