Monitor calibration for printing, how do I do it?

Treymac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joejohnsonphotography.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I've been using my PC with LCD display to do my editing, but last night I just realized that my pictures look a lot darker than intended on my CRT display. I have to make 10 prints this weekend, and I don't want them to turn out overly dark. Which monitor is more likely to be correct, and how would I calibrate it for printing?

Thanks.

are you printing them yourself?
Do the pictures here, that everyone likes, look better on one of the two.
do a search on monitor calibration.

Also don't have too much expectations about print and contrast range. Your screen (from what I understand and read) can produce a wider contrast range. I'm assuming it's the backlight (no backlight on paper), so you get brighter whites with more highlight detail while still maintaining shadow detail. Then you have the colour gamut problems, your screen uses RGB, most likely your printer uses CYMK to produce the different colours. The colour gamut problem is easily overcome with the correct use of ICC and other colour profiles, the contrast range you'll have to live with.

Here's a basic interpretation, not too long, of the problem...

http://www.scantips.com/basics15.html

If you are serious about getting acurate tones & colors...monitor calibaration is the way to go.

Check out the ColorVision Spyder II or the Pantone Hewey

Most reactions

New Topics

Back