Monitor calibration ???

Evo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am probably just going to break down and buy a calibration program but has anyone ever tried downloading a free calibrator online? I am wondering if it is worth giving it a shot. Thanks.

To properly calibrate a monitor...you need a hardware device (not just software)....so no, downloading a program isn't the answer.

Big Mike! Just the guy who i was hoping would respond and with the quick reply. Thanks! What do you recommend for a calibrator?

I recommend the ColorVision Spyder. (Current version is the Spyder III).

I believe there are three packages to choose from. The hardware is the same but the software is different. HERE is the comparison chart for the different packages.

It should be mentioned...that to 'professionally' calibrate a monitor...you need a professional monitor with 'LT' (Look up Table) technology. A monitor like that may come with it's own calibration device.

Something like that is a step above something like the Spyder. The Spyder reads the output and create a profile, which is loaded by the video card. An LT monitor actually changes it's output settings, rather than just using a profile. (or at least that's how I understand it).

Thanks Mike. I just ordered the spider! I'm not quite ready to upgrade my monitor yet. :cheers:

anyone have experience with the hueypro? seems to be a bit more reasonable priced compared to the equivalent spyder.

Just bear in mind that "price reasonable" and "calibration" should never be used in the same sentence.

If it were so easy to product decent calibration results we wouldn't have products like this. Remember if your unit isn't any good your results won't be either. The Spyder comes well recommended for all monitors which display the normal sRGB colour gamut.

I really need to calibrate my monitor... Why do I keep putting it off?

*Pauses*

Ha I just ordered spyder III

Thanks for the push!

Most reactions

Back