Monitor Calibration

AUZambo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is a reliable instrument to calibrate my monitor? I have a Macbook Pro that I bought about 3 years ago and I've never changed the default settings. There have been a few times I've touched up a photo sent it to be printed, and it came back looking different than what I was seeing on the monitor. Most of the time it comes back much brighter.

Anyway, I've seen the Spyder ones...are those the best or is there another you'd recommend? I guess my budget is around $100.

Last edited:
A Spyder is good, but if you're really strapped for cash, just go into system preferences, displays, go to the colour tab, and click on "Calibrate...". Go through the dialogues, and you'll be able to get reasonably close, as long as you take your time and are as attentive as possible.

After 3 years I guarantee you there's been a huge amount of drift. Just doing the above will probably strain your eyes less.

They are mostly similar. Spyder 3 is good. I wouldn't recommend a Spyder 2 since they don't support wide gamut monitors which seems to be a rising trend and thus may be obsolete in a few years.

I would recommend Eye-One Display 2. While my unit is now close to 3 years old and hasn't been entirely flawless, their customer service has been second to none and a new unit was promptly express shipped to me from Switzerland at no cost. I have never dealt with such intelligent and efficient customer support staff.

I have been happy with the used Spyder 3 I got off the Amazon.com marketplace ... calibrates both my Dell Latitude D830 laptop (a WUXGA+) as well as my Dell 2209WA IPS monitor.

I have a huey pantone (Pantone Huey review) that I use with my Macbook Pro and my external monitor. It works fairly well and I'm happy with it though I haven't printed anything since I got it. But be aware that you can calibrate your MBP all day long but it cannot reproduce as many colors as an external monitor can.

Indeed. 6-bits sucks. :( (Now that I'm actually paying attention, I've noticed that colours will look exited-out on my monitor, when their actual values are well below 255. *sigh*)

While most of the calibrators are good, one thing isn't... your laptop. Don't go to a laptop for photo editing, as the slightest change in viewing angle will alter the look in contrast, colour, etc.

Look at some IPS monitors for no difference in viewing angles. Cheapest would be the Dell 2209wa.

Thanks y'all.

I was just browsing craigslist and found this Apple 20" Cinema Display for $75. The seller says it was bought in 2008. I've emailed inquiring more info, but on the surface this seems like a steal. Am I missing something?

Mac 20" Cinema Display Monitor - 2008

Not an issue. PVA are 8bit and quite resistant to change due to viewing angles. If you play games I'd even recommend a PVA over an ISP given the incredible input lag and low response rate of IPS panels.

Not an issue. PVA are 8bit and quite resistant to change due to viewing angles. If you play games I'd even recommend a PVA over an ISP given the incredible input lag and low response rate of IPS panels.

By incredible, how slow are we talking? Slow enough that it's noticeable while editing an image? o_O

And as for the PVA, yes, but have you looked at those screens? Apple's cinema displays are resistant to colour drift and contrast changes due to viewing angles, but not much more than their laptop TV screens. o_O (Maybe I just think of the awesomeness of IPS viewing angles too much and am judging these poor screens to harshly...)

The Dell 2209wa has only 8bit too, I think.

I think those monitors are PVA, not IPS.
Will the colors be a little more true than those on my MBP? My wife is about to give birth so we're trying to save some money. The IPS Dell monitor would have to wait a while, but we can get this one now.

Would it be better to wait 'til I can afford the Dell monitor?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back