britonk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.btonkinson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I have seen references to having monitors "calibrated properly" to view photos exactly as they were intended (and how they would come out in print).

I have tried calibrating my monitor using two methods. One being the Nvidia calibration wizard that comes with my graphics card and the other being Adobe Gamma which comes with CS2.

The nvidia solution made quite a difference and whilst it made the colours on screen look much deeper all my photo's started to look under-exposed. The Adobe solution made hardly no difference at all.

Does anyone have any experience with this or can anyone suggest the best way to do it?

Many thanks...

Hi all,

I have seen references to having monitors "calibrated properly" to view photos exactly as they were intended (and how they would come out in print).

I have tried calibrating my monitor using two methods. One being the Nvidia calibration wizard that comes with my graphics card and the other being Adobe Gamma which comes with CS2.

The nvidia solution made quite a difference and whilst it made the colours on screen look much deeper all my photo's started to look under-exposed. The Adobe solution made hardly no difference at all.

Does anyone have any experience with this or can anyone suggest the best way to do it?

Many thanks...

I have not come across any specialized software tool to aid in my monitor calibration, but, can say that, for my prints to come out looking properly exposed, I have to save a version of my photo that, on my screen, appears to be over exposed. Cannot explain it, but, like you, when the pic looks good on the screen, it prints appearing to be under exposed.

My suggestion is to keep some notes so that you zero in on how much you need to compensate for the apparent loss of exposure when you print, and make last minute adjustments prior to printing.

Caruso

Hi, go here and look on the right side of the page.
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/index.html

They do calibration for commercial printers and seem to have an understanding of the problem. Hardware solutions are best but if you can't afford or simply don't have available the tools.. do it the hard way. ;)

It wouldn't hurt to do this at least once a month, BTW.

It wouldn't hurt to do this at least once a month, BTW.

Oh My... do things really get that out of wack in such a short period of time? And why?

I tried several ways to calibrate my monitor, but nothing worked well enough until I got a hardware device. I use the Colorvision Spyder II.

You should re-calibrate often. Monitors do change over time, but usually the change is gradual and you wouldn't notice...so it's a good idea to just do it on a regular basis. The Colovision software allows you to set a reminder.

Most reactions

Back