Mono Lake

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Located in the Great Basin Desert at the base of the Sierra Nevada, east of Yosemite National Park. 760,000 year old lake. The odd formations are tufa columns formed by springs under the suface of the lake.

6000024.jpg

6000025.jpg

3800028.jpg

600c0003.jpg

600c0030.jpg

Ah, the Mono Lake again.
Hasn't our Photogoddess been there last year or so and posted photos. Someone was there, I remember that clearly, only don't I remember so very clear who it was.

Super interesting rock (or whatever it is) formation (you called it "tufa" ... that suggests volcanic creation?) ... and I really like your composition best in #4 where the sky is captured only as its reflection on the water!!!

I love the colour of the leaves in contrast to the colour of the sky in #1 and the sky reflection in #4, but I think all of them are stunning.

I think the best thing is that you are showing me/us beautifull landscapes that I/we may never otherwise see. Thank you

Thanks LaFoto, Hoppy and cumi.

I'm really glad I wandered in a couple months ago, because this forum works both ways- I get to see parts of the world I may never get to visit. Return thanks to all of you!

I'm preparing a Mono Lake detail page for my web site that explains the origins of the lake. For now, all I have is a summary and a slideshow of pictures I've taken during my visits in the last few years.

Mono Lake summary

Also, I'm finding that the party isn't over at sundown, in fact it just gets started!

great shots, i agree #4 is just awesome... :thumbup:

Thanks everyone.

JTHphoto, I like the desert photos you put up awhile back, and have been inspired to figure out how you got them to be so light, so long after sunset. These were taken a good 30 minutes after sunset. Thanks for showing me I was going home far too early.

2,4, & 5 are winners and thats for sure

Most reactions

Back