Mono Pods?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by CanadianMe, Feb 18, 2008.

1. CanadianMe

CanadianMe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Who hear owns one and how do you find them, I tried a couple the other day and just felt odd. Maybe I need to look at the different ones but for the money do you find them worth while? And if you have one what brand do you have and how well do the work? I do mostly urban photography but I still head into the wilds on Northern Ontario would it be worth the investment?

Thanks again all for all the info I received from here, so very much appreciated.

2. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have several monopods and about 4 tripods. I use the monopods frequently i really like them.

this is my favorite

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/powerReviews.jsp?sku=5523&is=REG

as it has a quick release for the legs and i don't have to use the individual release points,.

remember you will also need to buy a specific head type

3. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use mine all the time for sports shooting. Not only does it stabilize the shot, but you also don't have to support a huge lens and camera the whole time. Mine is a Gitzo Mountaineer Series 2.

4. timyuan

timyuan TPF Noob!

it is useful indeed. mine is manfrotto, good quality. around $70

5. Chibamonkey

Chibamonkey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I used one years ago when I was doing a lot of backpacking, and loved it.

Started using walking sticks (think multipurpose offroad monopod) w/ Y-attachments for handgun hunting several years ago, and just bought a new Leki Sierra AS for both handgun hunting and photography.

http://www.leki.com/Trekking/products.aspx?prodid=44

This model is little short for a camera, but works well for handguns. It is also extremely rugged, lightweight, and easy to operate.

The stability that you get for the size, weight, and portablility of a monopod or a walking stick is well worth it.

6. CanadianMe

CanadianMe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great thanks, I guess I just need to look and see which ones like and get a decent head. I have decided to get a 400mm or 500mm lens so I don't think it is much of an option now.

Ok one more thing, sorry about the million questions but I sort of would like to go with something along this type with the 3 feet at the bottom any pros or cons these types, do they work well in both urban and Bush ? Or am I giving up something with this type for shooting in the bush?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/powerReviews.jsp?sku=5492&is=REG

7. Heck

Heck TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  8. Chibamonkey

Chibamonkey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

My question is just how far and rugged do you plan on getting out into? A thing to remember is if you are going any distance, you are going to have to carry it in and out. Is it going to be portable enough to let you do this? Another question would be if you are going to have a relatively flat area to set it up on? To me, it appears that what you are looking at would have to be set up on a relatively flat area, and will be considerably top heavy with little lateral support to keep it from tipping unless you are constantly holding it. Personally, I would stick with a straight monopod. Less hassle.

9. CanadianMe

CanadianMe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thats what I wanted to know, not what I want, was not sure if the legs folded up and had a cap to turn into a true monopod. Will go with the regular one then, Thanks. Why I ask all these questions, when I am not sure just ask.

10. Chibamonkey

Chibamonkey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    From the picture on the website, it appears that the legs fold up, and you deploy the legs when you want them.

You will be surprised how much stability you can get from a monopod.

After surfing a little bit, I found an accesssory set of legs made by Bogen that mounts on any of their monopods. If you get a monopod, then decide you need more stability, you could purchase at that time.

I think that you will be surprised how much they help w/o any additional support.

No matter what, good luck.

11. CanadianMe

CanadianMe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great thanks, I love options. More to consider, I like your set up. Leaning that way.

12. selmerdave

selmerdave TPF Noob!

I have the Bogen monopod with the tripod legs. The tripod legs are a poor substitute for a real tripod, but if it isn't windy and you can be gentle enough not to disturb the camera when shooting, it basically does the trick. I have found it quite useful, normally as a monopod of course.

Dave