Monochromatically Dramatic

JFew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wasn't sure if I could only post B&W or just monochrome in general but, here we go:

3820006524_a2809f6934_b.jpg
3751563132_0c6882d432_b.jpg
3725845646_bc4947c322_b.jpg
3779315113_af71544cc8_o.jpg

This is some darn good photography! Is it film?

Please number your shots in the future. It makes it a lot easier to comment.

#3 and 4 are absolutely beautiful. I have nothing else to say about them.

#1 is quite nice in that you get the feeling the dog knows he is in trouble (for being on the couch?) but the cushion in the foreground is quite annoying. To me anyway.

#2 is my least favorite. People who wear glasses need special care when you shoot portraits of them. Either get rid of the glasses but give them enough time so they don't have marks on their nose or be very careful with lighting and environment so as to avoid annoying reflections.

In a portrait, you want to see the eyes.

This is some darn good photography! Is it film?
Wow! Thank you!! :D

The portrait of the man wearing glasses is film, the others were shot using my DSLR (Canon Rebel XTi/400D). The film was Kodak BW400C+N (I think that's the designation) in a Minolta X-370 and Minolta 50mm f/1.7 lens. I am pretty sure I shot that at f/2 but I cannot remember, it's been so long ago - see below.

Please number your shots in the future. It makes it a lot easier to comment.

#3 and 4 are absolutely beautiful. I have nothing else to say about them.

#1 is quite nice in that you get the feeling the dog knows he is in trouble (for being on the couch?) but the cushion in the foreground is quite annoying. To me anyway.

#2 is my least favorite. People who wear glasses need special care when you shoot portraits of them. Either get rid of the glasses but give them enough time so they don't have marks on their nose or be very careful with lighting and environment so as to avoid annoying reflections.

In a portrait, you want to see the eyes.

Thanks for your kind words!

Thank you for the insight. I did try to number them but for some reason it didn't want me to put a space between them. Maybe I'm missing some setting or something, not sure. I don't do forums often.

As far as #2 goes, that's the second or third picture I ever took when I got a hold of my Minolta X-370. I'd never layed hands on a camera before so it was really an experiment more than anything. I posted it because it's one of my favorites, and the darkness around the eyes is what I was sort-of hoping for. The overall feel of the picture is very cold, but the man smiling brings warmth to it, if that makes sense. I also was hoping for the reflections on the glasses. It's more abstract, I think, than standard portraiture. Thank you for the C&C, I'll keep that in mind.

As for #1, it wasn't really a selective shot. He [the dog] was very afraid of the camera, I couldn't exactly frame it to get the cushion out, and I think if I crop it out, the dog's head will be centered and that's not considered "good" framing. Though he wasn't in trouble, I never noticed what you said about it looking like he was in trouble. I guess there are a thousand ways to see things.

Thanks again!

All of these and some others are available for viewing (if you're interested in specific equipment and shot settings) on my flickr account: Flickr: jfew02's Photostream

Thanks!

Last edited:
I guess there are a thousand ways to see things.

And a thousand opinions about what works or not. :lmao:

Well, it's not as if you start taking masterpieces right off the bat, you know. I just kinda like it, a sentimental piece if nothing else. Know what I mean?

And a thousand opinions about what works or not. :lmao:

Well, it's not as if you start taking masterpieces right off the bat, you know. I just kinda like it, a sentimental piece if nothing else. Know what I mean?

What I meant is don't worry too much about comments that are only a matter of opinion. :D

LOL I know.

Go to bed! It's 1:30 in GA! ( I know because I'm in one of your neighboring states :D)

1 and 2 do nothing for me....but 3 and 4 I really like. particularly 3, interesting angle but I like it. 4 I like, however, I think personally I would rather see the eye and the light around the eye not quite so dark. I wouldn't change it much or I think it would take away from my thoughts on the photo. nice work

Most reactions

New Topics

Back