Monopod for general and heavy abuse

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Overread, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Yep after one of those I am!

I have had a look around and at the moment this:
    http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/bypass/pid/3356?livid=107&lsf=107&child=2

seems to be a good pod -
    8kg max load should see me fine with anything but a 400-500mm+ lens;
    quick grip and foot action for adjusting the height and a grip lock - which I assume locks the pod gripper so that you can hold it firmly without the thing collapsing on you.

down sides:
    min extensins is 10cm longer than the average manfrotto length;
    average weight is also a little more

Considering the above the downsides don't seem like much on paper, but I would be interested in peoples views on them in the real world use.
    Also this pod is likley to get used on walks and a walking stick - is it suitable for such abuse or do I need to look for one with a higher load capacity?

Also are there any other monopods people can recomend? I tried the gitzo website but I find their navigation and display a pain to understand.

My primary lenses use for this will be a canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS though I also intend to use it with [dream mode]a 300mm f2.8[dream mode].

edit - also I am looking at suitable heads for a monopod - my 322 is just too hands on a head to be of use here - so I looked at this one:
    http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/2376?livid=107&lsf=107&child=1
    with a quick release plate

2. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm a fan of the secondary lock pin on the Manfrotto heads.

3. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Take my advise, get either the 680B or 681B, that 685B is a waste of money, 234rc2 is fine.

I know a shop that could probably do you a deal ;)

or better yet get the beast I have http://www.bogenimaging.co.uk/Jahia...ription=6X monopod&curBrandId=BGI&market=MKT1

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    hmm you do do you --- where would this shop be? (yes yes I know which town ;))
    and I think your beast is a little out of my price range for the monopod - though still loooks good!

5. jwkwd

jwkwd TPF Noob!

It seems that it has a lot of attachments for a mono pod. The 681 is just a tough, but low cost mono pod.