MONOPOD [WTB]

Pure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So the one I have now is cheap, but it does the job, but with the holidays coming up, I'd rather get one that's stronger and a lot more rigid.

Some Needed Specs:

-Will be long enough for a guy 6'2" WITH SPARE DISTANCE [for standing on even stairs, etc.]
-$150 or less
-Material does not matter
-Must support ATLEAST 10 POUNDS
-Recommended Accessories [Ball head? I usually just pivot my whole body though.]

Use BH or a reliable source PLEASE for links.

Manfrotto 681 and the suction cup replacement foot. I am 6'3" shooting a 400mm f2.8 on it with the lowered Wimberly replacement foot on the lens. At full extension it is still too tall for me.

I'll take a look at that. thanks. Anybody else? DON'T FORGET I'm TALL

manfrotto 685b - have had this for over a year and love it love it... I'm 6'2 and it is the right height with a bit to spare. I also put this simple head on it. I don't use it much for swiveling, but i do love the quick release.

I am just a shade shy of 6'2" and I really like my 4 section Velbon Carbon Fiber Shirpa. It wouldnt be long enough for shooting from a stair above ground level, but it is so rigid and strong that you could use it as a club if anyone was trying to steal your gear. I put a swivel on top, and it is plenty long enough for me. $100 and its the last monopod I will own.

Don't know if it will be tall enough but I just got the Manfrotto 679B, It is amazing for the price!

Here's a video from Yuri on his [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOFkCZ6TtGQ&sdig=1]manfrotto monopod[/ame] - happens to be the one i posted too by the way LOL

I'll take a look at all of these, but I'd prefer a monopod that is a twist and lock.

Here's a video from Yuri on his manfrotto monopod - happens to be the one i posted too by the way LOL

I don't quite get the ball head/Custom Bracket combination. Seems a bit redundant since either will allow you to shoot in landscape or portrait mode on their own. The use of a ball head on a monopod for portrait shooting also decreases the stability of the setup by putting the weight off of the center axis. I also was not impressed with the wobble that I observed in the entire setup as pictured.

I have used my 681 with a custom bracket on the top for some shoots and it does work well with a body and short glass for portrait work.

I'll take a look at all of these, but I'd prefer a monopod that is a twist and lock.

If you want twist locks then I would suggest that you stick with Gitzo. I have looked at other brands and found that they usually have one joint that will slip. Twist locks have little or no adjustment to them unlike the lever locks that Manfrotto uses. They both have their good points and their bad points.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back