Monopods

selmerdave

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just wondering what people's opinions are as to the usefulness of monopods, I've never used one. I'm going to be doing some traveling and bringing my tripod is not an option, so I was thinking of getting a Bogen monopod for slower shots. What range of shutter speeds are possible with one? I imagine they are not useful for very slow shots but what I'm curious about is the 1/4 - 1/15 range, is there a reasonable likelihood of getting a decent shot there with, say, an 85mm or 105mm? Many thanks.

Dave

In my experience, a monopod is great when shooting sports. Races, equestrians, football (socker), or aerobatics. It gives me more freedome to move, and paning with a monopod is quite easy.

You will be able to use some slower shutter speeds with the monopod. How ever 1/4 secound is to me pushing it a bit. Some people are great at it, me not so much..... If you are hiking, a monopod might be a great tool. My general rule is that the monopod is just one of the legs you need to support your camera. I often use a tree, or a rock to lean on, so the tree/rock is one foot, myselfe the secound and the monopod the third. So to speak.

Best of luck.

You can brace them against a table, a fence rail, a tree, ... etc and get pretty decent slow shutter speed photos. If I don't bring a tripod I will generally have a monopod near to hand. I use a beefy 4 section one from Manfrotto, it collapses prteety short so is easier to have around in crowded places. I have a decent ball head on mine.

I use my monopod quite a bit while hiking. I use it as a walking stick and it can give much needed support when shooting. I have a cheap one, which isn't really all that well suited as a walking stick, the section can slip when a lot of pressure is used...but it was only $40. A better monopod would stand up better.

I don't remember just how slow of a shutter speed I was able to get away with...but I do remember taking some running water shots, probably 1/4 or slower and I think they turned out fine (I'd have to check).

I've seen collapsible walking sticks where the height adjustment click locks in place and where the top knob unscews to attach a camera or ball head. These are pretty light compared to full on monopods. My wife and I use them when we go hiking and handy to hold a light camera for those cheeky couple shots in a nice setting.

Very useful they are....

I have a center column monopod on my ol'bogen tripod. My cullmann magic 2 tripod also has a monopod center. For lighter, I use the gitzo monotrek as a walking stick and to support light weight stuff.

I have taken slow exosures by carrying a large spring clamp (usually hanging off my bag) and clipping the monopod to something stationary. Just remember to bring a remote shutter control so not to knock it. It holds but doesn't tolerate a lot of 'extra' activity around it well.

I find them incredibly useful. As to how still you can keep it, it really depends on how steady you are yourself. Though if you can't take a tripod, a monopod is great and will still be more useful then trying to hold it at slow shutter speed. Get a good one thought, because it's no use to get one that won't stay steady for you.

I have the same monopod as Big Mike and I do like it, it does work well for sports and slow shutter speed, plus combine that with VR and you can do some great shots.

If you're willing to shell out a bit more money, Manfrotto makes a monopod with retractable legs that, when extended, make for a decently rigid setup. I've played with it a bit in the shop and it seems alright. Though extending and retracting the legs is a little clumsy.

Also, a monopod makes for a great extendable base for a flash if you're using it off-camera.

I use a monopod for shooting auto racing. However, contrary to most people... I don't let it touch the ground :D.

I just let it hang close to the ground and it acts as a centerweight. Since I literally spin in circles, my point of pivot is at my feet...NOT the tripod. If I stick the tripod in the ground, I end up tripping over it...silly as it may seem.

:cool:

I find my monopod is only useful for taking the weight so to speak. I like to use it so I don't have to hold up a heavy rig for a long time, but it doesn't steady me all that much. I think I have relatively shaky hands though. I've managed to brace it off of my foot and the back of a church pew and shoot around 1/60th at 200mm with pretty good success. It wasn't ideal though!

Monopods are almost a must have. You can often get them into places that tripods are forbidden at, like museums and track events.

My trick would be for you to go to a sports shop or Walmart or a gun store. Ask for a "collapsable gun rest" as they are usually fiberglass, light and about 10-20 bucks US versus a $40-50 dollar photography monopod. The gun rest, by cioncidence has the same 1/4" screw needed for your camera or where you could attach a swivel head to, if you wanted.

Last check my local Walmart had them on sale in Canada for $11!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back