Monster Trucks

Personally, I would have set a custom White Balance! These could also be improved in POST quite a bit, they lack "POP"! I always understood that Composition is an integral part of every image (or should be), it isn't like you can separate it out! lol!

Thanks for the suggestions. As for more POP i don't think so. Everyone has the style of photos they like and i personally don't like a lot of POP in photos. Makes them look to FAKE. How ever, some look very good, and some don't. My Personal oppinion.

Personally, I would have set a custom White Balance! These could also be improved in POST quite a bit, they lack "POP"! I always understood that Composition is an integral part of every image (or should be), it isn't like you can separate it out! lol!

Thanks for the suggestions. As for more POP i don't think so. Everyone has the style of photos they like and i personally don't like a lot of POP in photos. Makes them look to FAKE. How ever, some look very good, and some don't. My Personal oppinion.

Okay then. :hail:

Understood! But Monster Trucks are as ostentatious, "IN YOUR FACE" as anything can get! Is "POP" really going to be a negative thing for this kind of subject? Even Garish and Oversaturated fits these babies nicely! (you have edits not allowed.. but may I post an edit?)

Six pictures of trucks in the air.
While adequately caught, there's not much interesting except the last.

I leave it to you to figure out why.

The same reason there's no one in the stands?

I am stuck on the 'rude' part.

Please point out where people are rude and perhaps you can restate what they say in a way that you won't think they are rude.

I guess it serves me right for posting on a forum. I have never had luck on a forum cause most people are rude and can't keep there commits to them selves. If i was looking for COMPOSITION i would have shown it. MY GOAL was to get crisp stop action photos in a not so well lite arena. If iwanted your opinion i would have asked for it. Maybe i should start posting negative comments on eveones posts too. even if your photos are fantastic.

This reply makes you the whole ass. Well played sir.

Understood! But Monster Trucks are as ostentatious, "IN YOUR FACE" as anything can get! Is "POP" really going to be a negative thing for this kind of subject? Even Garish and Oversaturated fits these babies nicely! (you have edits not allowed.. but may I post an edit?)
Are you talking about somthing like this. I really don't like this kind of phototography unless its the right subject. Yes you may edit one and show me what you mean. $IMG_3991_1.jpg

Something like this... just some contrast and brightness changes so it isn't so washed out, and a slight increase in saturation... nothing over the top!

Your original is on top...
$lighting-418xx8.jpg

Something like this... just some contrast and brightness changes so it isn't so washed out, and a slight increase in saturation... nothing over the top!

Your original is on top...
View attachment 38400

I see where your comming from. I hate to do to much of that cause sometimes it just looks bad to me. Yours looks good tho. Thanks

I appologize to everyone on this threat. Even those who just should have stayed out of it. I am not a big forum poster. You will not see me around much or if i am online you will not see me post much. My negatives thoughts on other peoples work are kept to myself. I do not intend to post something that will make someone one feel bad or start and argument.
Hope you all have a good day.

Being a hockey fan I thought that ND looked familiar (although it doesn't look like the arena I've seen on TV)... If you're newer to shooting sports it seems like you were able to freeze action and keep the images sharp.

Our local arena gets invaded by monster trucks every year but I haven't gone to the event or tried to photograph it. I've found that when shooting hockey the ice seems to help with the lighting (as it reflects it) and when I have done indoor events in the same arena the lack of ice seems to make the lighting that much worse. Our arena does the same thing for smaller events (like high school hockey), opens up seats on only one side of the arena. Which works for them, for the ushers and security staff, but gives you as a photographer a background that looks like nobody showed up!

Since you were able to accomplish what you wanted the next step might be to start looking at other aspects of your photos. You might want to notice how you're framing shots and make sure everything looks straight. I think in sports there can be a lot of posts, lines, signs, etc. in the background and I usually try to check to make sure those look straight. I often frame it so a post etc. is out of my photo when possible or whatever should be straight is parallel to the edge of the frame (such as posts in the glass, not the curved boards for example). Obviously for this type event you've got the rows of seats and banners etc. to think about.

With your photos if you made copies and did some straightening and cropping it might improve some of the shots that could use it, just a slight bit can sometimes make a noticeable difference; you might also think about if you'd want to crop any of them to elminate some of the background. Next time you photograph something like this you might want to notice how the background looks since you've gotten the subject itself photographed nicely.

I learned to make my eye move around the viewfinder to see if everything in my frame is what I want in my photo. If you can change your vantage point you can move something in or out of your photo, but I don't know how much of that would be possible as a spectator. When I was taking pictures at a game where I didn't have credentials to be at ice level or didn't have the ideal vantage point, I'd try leaning to one side or scrunching down or whatever I could figure out to help me frame my shot better (or go sit briefly in an empty seat!). I have found sometimes at games and events there may be some flexibility in letting you stand briefly in a tunnel etc. to get a few photos from a different vantage point.

If you've been able to get these shots in low light (and I know how much difference that can make in older arenas) you probably will be able to continue to develop techniques and work on composition with practice. You could try Sports Photography and Photojournalism for Professional Photographers and Photography | SportsShooter.com and search articles etc. although I don't think too many people on there shoot motorsports. I haven't been on this board long myself and you've already found out how it can be on here, which seems to be somewhat the nature of message boards. I don't know offhand of a good sports photography site where you can get photos critiqued and get feedback and suggestions, but if you keep practicing you'll probably see your photos continue to get better as you go. Good luck with it.

Errrrmmm .... posting things on a forum and not allowing others to phrase their opinions? I am stunned to say the least.

So if not opinions, what answers would you want from people in your thread then?

If I understood your second post correctly, you figured out by yourself that you achieved your personal goal and hence are satisfied. Besides the fact, that you never told this to anyone in your first post in this thread, I wonder what our role would be now?

a) to remain silent ?
b) to comment, but ignoring personal opinion ? What would such a comment be like then?

Is not feedback the main idea of a forum?

Errrrmmm .... posting things on a forum and not allowing others to phrase their opinions? I am stunned to say the least.

So if not opinions, what answers would you want from people in your thread then?

If I understood your second post correctly, you figured out by yourself that you achieved your personal goal and hence are satisfied. Besides the fact, that you never told this to anyone in your first post in this thread, I wonder what our role would be now?

a) to remain silent ?
b) to comment, but ignoring personal opinion ? What would such a comment be like then?

Is not feedback the main idea of a forum?
its over

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back