Monticello

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by cleary71, Nov 14, 2004.

1. cleary71

cleary71 TPF Noob!

I was hoping that someone might suggest what I could have done differently to improve this photo. This was the best that I could do with the heavy fog and mist.
    [​IMG]

2. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, Cleary, sooner or later the "real photographers" will come round to comment on your photo. I'm just a hobby photographer, total amateur, and not good at critiquing. I hardly ever go by techniques, always by emotion.

And my feeling about this photo here tells me that nothing could have been done any better!
    Actually, I very much LIKE the fact that you went out to take this one in the weather situation that you found at the time. I blame myself for being a "sunshine-weather photographer" only, so my first praise is about the fog.

And the green of the lawn and the auburn of the lovely house still stand out! Nicely captured, I say.

The reflection in the pool in front CAN be there, but to my mind the photo also works without it. It's a matter of taste if you like it or if you don't (says my feeling). Actually, I'd prefer to maybe only see the edge of the pool at the very bottom of the photo and no more. But I'm torn myself about this.

I don't know if the blown-out sky is the "price you had to pay" for the green grass? Who knows that?

3. Harry99

Harry99 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I think this would have been a good photo if, the dome of the building and the trees on the left, had not been washed out, they are exposed correctly in the reflection though.

4. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

I think you did a great job and I believe Thomas would approve as well :wink: Taking photos in fog situations is not an easy task and I believe your exposure is as good as possible for the conditions. I like the composition a lot!

I lived close by Charlottesville for many years and often frequented Thomas Jefferson's home. It lends itself to many beautiful photo opts. Did you turn around and get one of the garden against the mountain? :D

5. cleary71

cleary71 TPF Noob!

There were mountains there? I did get a few of the gardens, but with fog the mountains look like they didn't even exist. I guess I will just have to make another trip there in the spring.

Jonmikal, also I noticed that you live in the D.C. area, I am going to be heading down in the March/April time frame and was wondering if there is anywhere, besides the obvious, that you recommend. I will probably be there for two maybe three days. Also, thanks for the kind words.

6. James_L

James_L TPF Noob!

Makes me want to visit.

Is it pretty cool inside too?

7. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

You might have tried a graduated neutral density filter to darken the sky a little and prevent the top of the building from burning out.