"Moon Flare"

ImgPro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
safariworkshop.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Great moon, venus and halo tonight. Several shots did not produced what I desired. Settled for this.

moonflare.jpg

Comments always welcome.

Craig

holy crap thats awesome. did you use some kind of mega telephoto zoom lens? i can never seem to produce an image of the night time sky like that....

Thanks Ducky. Technical info: Nikon D700 tripod mounted using a remote shutter release, Nikon 80-400 mm VR at 400 mm, 1/400th sec @ f/10, ISO 800, exposure compensation -4.0.

i love how the moon literally just stops thin air. thanks for the new desktop ;)

Good work, Craig. The title leads one to believe this was some natural event. Wink, wink. We moved here from another forum and I know he is tricky.

Regardless of how you did it, its an amazing shot. Keep them coming.

Craig

Thanks jsoeung and CJ. Just a good moon night and a little PS magic for fun. Has anyone else noticed we seem to spend more time processing than shooting now days. As one who started with film and darkrooms over 40 years ago I'm still getting use to the digital age. But isn't it great.

Craig

Thanks jsoeung and CJ. Just a good moon night and a little PS magic for fun.
I was about to scream foul for using PS to make lens flare... and then I read your "coming clean" post admitting PS trickery. :)

Cool pic though.

inTempus,

Foul??? Show me where I claimed this image was not PhotoShopped. Only the most neophyte digital photographer would not recognize that this photograph was altered. Furthermore, trickery is not a good description for a picture that has been enhanced using whatever means available to produce an artistic effect. Even Ansel himself would be the first to tell you he manipulated his best images in the darkroom to achieve his outstanding results.

Hope you know I'm only pulling your chain. Thanks for your comments.

Craig

Okay, guess I'll be the first to say I think that it looks tacky. It also looks completely unrealistic.

How you got good comments on this atall
I dont know...
the moon itself is good and crisp
but the photo shop edits are terrible (The Teal border, the lens flare)

+ a lens flare on a moon? just doesnt go well...
however if you do wish to do a lens flare in the future, and easier and a more realistic way to do it is:
(you need to use the shortcut for newlayer or go Layer > new layer otherwise you wont get a menu)
in the menu, change blend mode to softlight
you will see a check box saying "fill with 50% grey?" check it
apply your lens flare to this layer, change opacity to blend the flare in
much neater results

How you got good comments on this atall
I dont know...
the moon itself is good and crisp
but the photo shop edits are terrible (The Teal border, the lens flare)

Ah yeah, I forgot to mention the border in my reply. I think it just adds to the overall tackiness.

I must have done something right. Any image that evokes comments form "wow" and "awesome" to "tacky" and "terrible" has sure hit a nerve somewhere. I thought it was garish myself, but you never know what someone else will think until you throw it out there. Thanks for all the opinions.

Most reactions

Back