Moon Photo's- May's Total Lunar Eclipse

DarkEyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
img78.photobucket.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all. Here is my first submission. It comprises the 4 original Images used to create the final sequence. I used an old Nikon SLR (not sure which model, but know it's about 19 years old), telephoto lens set at 300mm, with a 2x converter. I used Kodak max ISO 400 film. Exposure times and aperture settings varied depending on the phase of the eclipse.

(1) Full Moon:
Full_Moon_Best.jpg

(2) Mid Eclipse:
Mid.jpg

(3) 3/4 Eclipse:
half_Eclipsed.jpg

(4) Totality:
Eclipse_Original.jpg

(5) Sequence:
High_Res2.jpg

The negatives were scanned onto computer using a Canon 3200F scanner, at 1200dpi. images were cropped to minimize file size, but that is the extent of the alteration to images 1,2,3 & 4.

The sequence was created by matching the moons size for frames 2,3 & 4 to that of the full moon (Image 1), as that image had the most detail. The images wer then placed on a black background, and properly aligned. after a bit of proccesing, I managed the results seen in the sequence.

The size of the seqeunce was altered from a 2700 x 1801 13.9MB Bitmap image to a 1350 x 900 76KB JPEG file, so considerable image quality has been lost. This was done to minimize upload time.

That is absolutely gorgeous! And I love how you've described how you came to the composition. That's something I can learn from. Thank you.

Wow!! This is wonderful work. Each moon shot is very good on its own, but together in the sequence shot, why, you have poster-quality stuff here. I absolutely love it - great job!!

And yes....I envy you that telephoto lens, as well. :wink: It sure did right by you here.

Thanks Every one!

And yes, 'Shark,' I do have a large 'matt' print (8"x 12") on my wall in a frame! ($40 Aus. Later). :lol:

P.S. That 300mm? It's not mine.Nor's the Camera. I borrowed the gear from my dad. I'm saving for my own stuff at the moment. Will probably have my own Nikon D70 with 18-70mm lens by end of year. Im opting for this Camera over the EOS 300D Because I'll still be able to use me dad's lens' with it.

I took the photo's because the lunar Eclipse gave me an opportunity to Merge my two favourite hobbies- Astronomy and photography. Because of the high level of light pollution in my city (and most others), The moon is by far the easiest Astronomical object to photgraph. Untill I can afford a Decent Telescope however, I do not intend on doing more Astrophotography.

Very well done!
Really would make a good wall hanger.

Welcome to the forum! Talk about great first pictures. That last one needs to be hung on the wall somewhere. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back