Moon Shot

tresguey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been trying to take a decent shot of the moon for a while. I am new to photography and this is getting me frustated. I used my D90 with the 70-300mmVR on it using the timer and tripod. VR was off as well as the auto focus. This time i played around with ISO around 100 equiv. This shot was the best at ISO of .7 or i think 125 equiv. I know it sucks. Any hints would be greatful. I have the white balance set at tung/incandescent if that even matters? i'm not sure.
042.jpg

Hmmmm......... I am no expert, but something is askew.... Seems like the focus is off. What happens when you shoot, full auto, with VR on, with tripod, and dial in the focus? I just got a Nikon D90, and shot this image with the 18-200 VR, handheld and I tweaked in the focus manually, let the camera take care of everything else.....

DSC_0016.jpg

I have the D90 and the 70-300VR. I just tried to think of how I did it with film. So I turned off the automatic ISO business and set it to 200. Not being sure of the speed and finding out it changes from 1 moon to the next I use the bonus of digital over film. Take a shot, look at it, take another til I l figure I have a couple that I'll have to look at on the computer to decide which has better detail to pick from. Last time I started at 1/60 and worked my way up to 1/1250.

5.6, 1/1250, ISO 3200, Center weighted meter, 300mm, hand held EDIT - thought I turned off auto ISO. Usually do for this. See bottom for a ISO 200 moon.

Original
Moonoriginal4727resized.jpg

Crop
Moon4727cropx2resized.jpg

F5.6, 1/400, ISO200, 300mm, pattern meter
Moon4868ISO200resized.jpg

Last edited:
Dao - thanks for the link. Printed off when I got to work (ssshhhhh).

I just use a shutter speed that matches my zoom and adjust aperture to my liking.

If I'm at 200mm I use 1/200 for shutter speed and usually between f/5 and f/11 yields good results.

White balance stays on Auto.

seems out of focus. ISO200 should be fine. Also try manual white balance or shoot in RAW then set your WB later. try AF with center weigh. I have the same setup here's what I got.

3412479908_4d948da5bd_o.jpg

Well I tried again tonight with basicaly the same results.

Lens is clean, auto focus, tripod, used f5.6 - 8 iso from 100-250 speeds from 1/200 - 1/800 tried spot and center meter. And dialed exposure compensation to 0. Looks good in my view finder. but when i try to blow it up it, i lose the sharpness almost like it's out of focus. i don't have any real photo editing programs. Could this be my problem?

Hi, I'm new in freelancing photography. I'm really impressed at this photography's. It's been inspiration for me. Thanks for sharing this nice shoots.

you guys are getting some great shots. i dont have a zoom lens so i take the pic inside my telescope. canon sd100.
67o9bb.jpg

Well I tried again tonight with basicaly the same results.

Lens is clean, auto focus, tripod, used f5.6 - 8 iso from 100-250 speeds from 1/200 - 1/800 tried spot and center meter. And dialed exposure compensation to 0. Looks good in my view finder. but when i try to blow it up it, i lose the sharpness almost like it's out of focus. i don't have any real photo editing programs. Could this be my problem?

Did you visit the link I post earlier?

Anyway, do not worry about spot or center meter. Do not worry about exposure compensation. Just use ISO 100, F/5.6 and shutter speed of 1/500 in manual mode and see what happened. And then adjust the shutter speed if the result is under or over exposed. (use tripod is needed)

Edit: If your lens has VR or you are using tripod and the max aperture of your lens at 300mm is F/5.6, you can decrease the size of the aperture (increase the number) to F/8 or F/11 because usually lens are not as sharp at max aperture. But make sure you change the shutter speed accordingly.
i.e. If iso100, f/5.6 and 1/250 give you a good exposure, then iso100, f/8 and 1/125 should yield the same result (on tripod at least)

Last edited:
OK,this is what i just got. f5.6, iso 100, speed was 1/80. Auto focus. all i did was crop it. Do you think the So cal fires are effecting it? or my uv filter? Not sure if they may or may not.
006.jpg

That is really strange .. the photo is way underexposed.

For full moon, should be around EV 14-15.

So for ISO 100, f/5.6, shutter speed should be around 1/250 to 1/500.

Yours is even at 1/80???

Did you take the photo when the moon just rise from the horizon?

Here is one I shot last night. Its a little noisy. I need to bring down the ISO.

DSC_0074.jpg

Yes, you really do not need to use ISO 800 at all. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back